The Macnamara Field Naturalist's Club is dedicated to exploring and promoting the appreciation, understanding and preservation of nature in the Ottawa Valley. The inaugural meeting of the Macnamara Field Naturalists' Club (MFNC) was held 6 March 1984 in the teacher's lounge at the Arnprior District High School. Michael Runtz was elected President; Vice-President Eric Ridgen, Treasurer; Kevin MacDonald, Secretary; Adolf Vogg and Directors; Verna McGiffen and Sloan Watters who handled publicity. Soon the meetings moved to the meeting room of the Arnprior Public Library where guest speakers were invited to speak on a wide range of topics at the club's monthly meetings.
The club's Newsletter "The Lady's-Slipper" was first produced in 1984 and has been in continuous production for thirty years. In addition to the regular bulletin a newsletter was produced by the club to promote activities. Club members share their interest and experience - ranging from novice to expert - through monthly meetings, field trips and projects.
The club is a registered charity and is affiliated with the Federation of Ontario Naturalists and the Canadian Nature Federation.
Material was donated by MFNC members Sloan Watters and Eric Ridgen in 2014.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of minutes, bulletins, The Lady's Slipper, promotional material, administrative files and other miscellaneous documents related to the club.
1. Constitution (draft) 1984
2. Early History - notes and photograph of first meeting
3. Minutes - Executive and Regular Meetings; January 3 1984 - December 31 1988
4. Minutes - Executive and Regular Meetings; January 3 1989 - December 8 1992
5. Correspondence - 1984-1991
6. Administrative material - includes some financial documents, undated notes, and two articles; Ferns by Nels Maher and The Education of the Enquiring Eye (about Charles Macnamara) by Martin Hunter
7. Publicity - 1984, 1989
8. Bulletins - March 1984 - December 1990
9. Bulletins - January 1999 - January 2000
10. Bulletins - January 2001 - December 2010, November & December 2013.
11. The Lady's-Slipper 1894-1989 (Vol 1 No 1 - Vol 6 No 1)
12. The Lady's-Slipper 1990 - 2003 (Vol 7 No 1 - Vol 8 No 1)
13. The Lady's-Slipper 2004 (Vol 19 No 1), 2004/2005 (Vol 20 No 1), Fall 2008 (Vol 23 No 1)
14. MFNC Submission to Town of Arnprior Official Plan 2007
15. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources paper - Crown Game Preserves in Ontario 1991 (Nopoming Crown Game Preserve)
16. 20th Anniversary Banquet 2004
17. MFNC Trail Expansion 2004
18. Easement Agreement for Macnamara Trail with Ross Elliott
20. Agreement between MFNC and BASF Canada Inc. 1995
21. Several maps (some hand coloured) showing the Nopiming Crown Game Preserve and Macnamara Trail.
22. Rolled map of the Macnamara Trail prepared by Eric Ridgen showing location of features; Lady's Slipper Lane, Lime Kiln, Walking Fern Rock, Hobble Bush Hollow, Sumac Grove 2000 (see item level description of Map 002 - map box 1)
23. Contour Map of Arnprior 1955 showing Nopoming Crown Game Preserve (see item level description of Map 001 - map cabinet 1 drawer 18)
Biographical historical notes taken from MFNC pamphlet