Alexander Reid Public School was named after Alex Reid who was Secretary-Treasurer and Chairman of the Renfrew County Board of Education. It opened in 1957 and officially opened by the Honorable Matthew Diamond, Minister of Health in February of 1958. Eva Brown was the first principal with Walter Zadow as Supervising Principal. An addition of two rooms was added in 1967 and in 1969 a qymnasium, two more classrooms and a kindergarten were added. Other principals were Donald Lyon, Gary Pettigrew, Brian Teskey and C. McGregor. The school closed due to low enrollment in 2005.
Records were obtained from the school directly in June 2005. Other records were donated by School Committee Chairperson Peggy (Watson) Wallace.
Scope and Content
Alexander Reid Public School fonds consists of three boxes of files related to the activities of the children and staff from 1981 - 2005 when the school was closed. Portraits of graduates that hung along the walls of the school also form part of this collection.