approx. 400 colour photos; 50 B&W photos; 10 cm textual material
Scrap book treated for mould and mildew from damp storage in basement of Legion building.
History / Biography
Royal Canadian Legion, Branch Number 174, came into existence in May 1919 and was then called the Great War Veterans' Association. In May 1930, this Association was organized into a branch of the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League. In 1980, Branch 174 celebrated its 50th anniversary. The Arnprior branch of the Royal Canadian Legion supports scholarship and public speaking programs, the local hospital, the construction and maintenance of the Cenotaph, sports teams and local bands. It continues to be present as a strong supporter of activities in the local community.
Donated by Garry Dowd in 2003 and 2007. Accruals in 2013 and 2014.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of a large scrap book of photographs, folders of administrative material created by Ian 'Bun' Malloch, various certificates, receipt book and newspaper clippings from local newspapers.
File List for Textual Material:
1. Receipt book 1933
2. Legion Minutes 1961-1962
3. Correspondence 1960-1963
4. Legion Branch and Convention Reports 1962
5. News Clippings about New Honour Roll 2007
6. News Clippings covering various Legion Activities 1963-1991 (gaps)
7. Service records for Lieutenant W. M. Myles 1940
8. Program for Presentation of Colours to Lanark & Renfrew Scottish Regiment 1966
9. Various Certificates 1955-1983
10. 50th Anniversary of Royal Canadian Legion Branch 174 Arnprior 1980
11. Arnprior Chronicle Souvenir Edition commemorating Opening of New Legion Hall Sept 11 1971
12. Thank you letters from students of A. J. Charbenneau and Walter Zadow Public Schools 2005 & 2007
13. Miscellaneous Administrative material
14. Miscellaneous items (auxillary creed etc.)
Envelopes of Photographic Material:
1. 1 b&w photo of Dr. Box receiving Charter Membership Pin circa 1950
2. 3 b&w photos of Bill Meek making presentations circa 1960
3. 2 b&w photos of ADHS Principal A. C. Ward making presentation to Monique Baker with Ian Malloch
4. 1 col photo of cheque presentation (includes Col. Gaumond)
5. 1 col photo portrait of Vercil Streich (25 years 1955-1980)
6. 2 b&w photos of Legion members (includes Paul Bertrand)
7. 1 b&w photo of Legion Auxilliary 1954
8. 4 b&w photos of Arnprior Legion Juvenile Hockey Team 1957-1958
One photo shows group photo: Eastern Ontario Champs
Front Row: Dick Pell (Manager), John Stack, John Mulvihill, Dennis Schnob, Jim McCormick, Bryan Rafter
Back Row: J. J. Greene, John Cloutier, Joe Cloutier, Bill Holmes, Brent Scheel, Bob Thompson, John Mills, Phil Poole, Bill Code, Toots Sevigny (coach), Dan Egan, Bruce Armsden (trainer), Paul Bertrand (President of Royal Canadian Legion Branch 174)
9. 4 b&w photos of Ian Malloch carrying out various activities as Branch 174 president circa 1960's
10. 2 col, 3 b&w photos of various social activities at Legion circa 1960's & 1970's
11. 1 col, 6 b&w photos of guest speaker, Dominion President David Burger 1958. Also pictured; Ian Malloch, A.L. Simpson, Paul Bertrand, J. J. Greene
12. Ian Malloch and other unidentified Legion members at Legion Headquarters in Ottawa circa 1964.
13. Letter and photo of unidentified Arnprior WWI veterans circa 1964
14. 3 b&w photos of Ian Malloch and Paul Bertrand (Zone Commander) circa 1960's
15. 7 b&w photos of Bill Meek, Bert Garrett (Renfrew) and Ronald Code (Perth) and other Legion members circa 1963.6 b&w photos of presentations to WWI Legion members and other meetings at Legion circa 1960's
16. 4 col photos of Legion soccer teams 1990's
17. 6 b&w Royal Canadian Navy Photos of H.M.C.S. Assiniboine (River Class Destroyer) circa 1940's
18. Panoramic photo taken at Farnham, Quebec of "Reinforcement Draft" taken on 12 April 1945 by J. Adler Photography.
19. Panoramic photo of Reunion of the 2nd Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force, WWI taken August 1936 (at Chateau Laurier, Ottawa) Map Cabinet #1, Dwr 13
Scrap book contains approximately 350 photographs documenting recreational activities at the Arnprior Legion as well as Santa Claus parades, Remembrance Day parades, outings etc. between 1971 and 1990.
1. Previously known as the Leo Moskos Collection.
2. Scap book has been altered due to mould and water damage.