The Arnprior Cabinet Company was established about 1916 with R. J. Simpson as Manager and Harry Meagher, Superintendent. The factory was incorporated in 1922 as the Canadian Public Booth Co. It was located near the Madawaska River off Thomas Street. Originally, the company manufactured furniture and specialty items such as cutlery cases and cribbage boards. Later it built all of the telephone booths used across Canada under the direction of Robert M. Simpson (Robert Simpson) as General Manager and long-time mayor of Arnprior. By 1949, Canada Public Booth employed over 125 men and women.
Other personell included: A.F. Lampole (Superintendent), John M. Taylor (Assistant Manager and Office Manager), E. J. Anniss (Draughting and Detailing), Wilfred Lampole (Mill Foreman), Joe Caruso (Cabinet Room Foreman), Elmer Fischer (Finishing Room Foreman), Melvin McConeghy (Trim Room Foreman), Herman Woermke (Special Installations), E. J. Ebbs (Finishing Specialist) E. C. Collins (Maintainance Foreman), Lloyd Black (Special Work Foreman), Lloyd Johnston (Special Work), Samuel B. Wilson (Stockkeeper), Cecil B. Armitage (Special Work), Lorne Todd (Production Engineer), Edward Bond (Chief Engineer) and Fred Scheels (Special Work)
Donated by Nancy Black December 2012 (whose father was Lloyd Black, Special Work Foreman) via Doug Collins
Scope and Content
11 Interior shots of Canada Public Booth operations. Includes photo of Robert A. Simpson in his office and Lloyd Black, employee. This series of B&W photographs was produced for an article about the Canadian Public Booth Co. in the Canadian Woodworker Magazine (May 1958).
First donated and copied as electronic images. Then donor agreed to donate original prints. Source used in Biographical History was Arnprior Story and Newspaper advertisement dated
Fred Lampole fonds (I19.3), See also subject files in Reading Room