Senior Games started in Alberta in the 1970's. They were started in Ontario about 1982. The Ontario Seniors Games were initiated by the Older Adults Centre Association of Ontario and the Ministry of Tourism & Recreation. Senior Games are designed for adults 54 and over to provide them with an opportunity for social interaction, fitness and participation, all promoting lifestyles for seniors.
The Renfrew County Senior Games began in the City of Pembroke in 1986. A one time grant from the New Horizons was approved and a Senior Games Committee was organized. The Games were again held in the City of Pembroke in 1987 and were hosted by the Town of Renfrew in 1988, the Town of Deep River 1989, Petawawa Village and Township in 1990 and the Town of Arnprior in 1991. Each year as the Games rotate, a new executive is formed. Registration for the Games ranges from 400 - 600 participants.
The Renfrew County District #5 Committee is composed of a District Co-ordinator, a Games Co-Ordinator and senior volunteers from Renfrew County. District Games are held annually with Provincial Games (Actifest) held every 2 years. 37 districts from Ontario compete at Actifest. Winners of the County Games represent Renfrew County at the Provincial Games.
In January of 1992, the Renfrew County Senior Games became a sub-committee of the Council of Aging. It was agreed that the Games would remain autonomous and independent, and would continue to rotate from one hosting community to another with support with donations from the County Legions, Service Clubs, municipalities, businesses and individuals.
Throughout the years events changed depending on popularity and response from committee members. Participants enjoyed Lawn Bowling, Tennis, Bridge, Golf, Shuffleboard, Swimming, Snooker, Cribbage, Bowling, Darts, Horseshoes, Triathalon and a "Prediction Walk" where finish time is predicted by the walker.
Records transferred from Natalie Roach at Renfrew County Senior Games office to the Archives by Jack Lammert in July 2002.
Scope and Content
Files contain administrative, promotional and organizational records for the Renfrew County Senior Games between 1986-2008.
Box 1 File List:
1. Agendas and Minutes 1995-1996
2. Agendas and Minutes 1997-2001
3. Correspondence 1996-2001
4. Administrative 1995-1998
5. Eganville 1999
6. Deep River 1998
8. Arnprior 1996
9. Petawawa 1995
10. Actifest 1996 & 1998
11. Raffle & Lottery 1995-1999
12. Programs 1995-2001
13. Press Clippings 1987-1988
14. Press Clippings 1996-1998
15. Financial 1993-1995
16. Financial 1996-1997
17. Financial 1998
18. Financial 1999-2001
20. Bound Ledger Accounts 1994
9 VHS video tapes 1988-1994 with gaps (content unknown)
Box 2 File List:
1. Photograph album containing photos and clippings of Actifest 1986, 1988 and Renfrew County Senior Games 1989 held in Deep River.
2. Photograph album containing photos and clippings of Renfrew County Senior Games 1990 held in Petawawa and 1993 held in Deep River.
3. Photograph album containing photos and clippings of Renfrew County Senior Games 1994 held in Renfrew.
4. Photograph album containing photos and clippings of Renfrew County Senior Games 2001held in Calabogie.