Linda Chandler's great grandfather was Charles Hornidge, an Irish immigrant and head gardener for the Sydenham D. Hall family of Arnprior and Ottawa. The Hall family had a summer home called "Edgewood" (located near present day Robert Simpson park purchased by Claude McLachlin from John Usborne) where they grew grapes, apples and vegetables. Mrs. Hall was Norma (Daisy) McLachlin.
Donated by Linda Chandler of Arnprior. Photographs were kept by Mrs. Dorothy McCabe (granddaughter of the Hall family) and Mrs. Kathleen (Hornidge) Long. Image of Hornidge family and Sanitarus were scanned from originals and returned to donor Linda Chandler in June 2015. Photograph of John Hornidge scanned from original and returned to donor Linda Chandler in March 2019.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of several items collected by family members including a July 27 1888 Arnprior Chronicle newspaper and scanned images.
1. Sepia toned portrait of Norma Hall as a child (see Item Level Description), three photographs of Pat Hall as a young boy, and a photograph of Norma and Pat Hall with the DeRenzy sisters in their garden (present day 246 John St. N). Minna, Maude and Nina DeRenzy lived in this house for many years. It was built by Daniel McLachlin for his mother.
2. Scanned image of Sanitarus Natural Mineral Water building at the corner of William and John Streets circa 1900.
3. Hornidge family circa 1900 includes from left to right:
Charles Hornidge, Cecelia (Finn) Hornidge (wife of Charles)
Children Frederick Hornidge (grandfather of donor)
Kathleen Ester/Hester Hornidge (later Mrs. Augustus Long)
Empty Chairs for John Hornidge who died May 4, 1892 age 2 years and Mary (Minnie) Hornidge who died August 2 1897 age 13/14 years.
4. Scanned photograph of John Hornidge, brother of Charles Hornidge who appears in the July 27 1888 issue of the Arnprior Chronicle newspaper.
1. July 27 1888 Arnprior Chronicle newspaper. The 1888 newspaper was treasured by the Hornidge family because an article appears on page 3 about John Hornidge, a brother of Charles Hornidge. The article "Tomahawked by Kanakas" describes how John Hornidge was the only survivor of the crew of the "Young Dick" in the South Sea Islands. This newspaper also features news of the new town hall being planned after the fire on April 1 1888 which destroyed the original town hall and fire station located on lots 15 & 17 of Hugh Street (now Bell) at Victoria.
2. April 15 1955 Ottawa Journal (twelve page 'Arnprior Edition' profiles many businesses and service clubs, Stewartville generating station, schools etc.)
1 - House of Commons Debate Speech by J. J. Greene, Member for Renfrew South delivered in the House of Commons March 12 1964.
2 - St. Joseph's School Official Opening Program for new Annex; Sunday December 2 1973
3 - Knights of Columbus 100th Anniversary Supplement to the Arnprior Chronicle May 12 1982 which includes photographs of Grand Knights of Arnprior Council 2082. Linda Chandler's father R. J. McCabe is shown along with R. J. Slattery, S. J. Glavin (Galvin?), F. A. Parent, O. Murphy, J. W. C. Tierney, John Rafter, P. L. Convey, G. H. Valin, T. C. Mulvihill, C. A. Mulvihill, J. A. Fisher, P. E. Hogan, W. J. Thompson, L. J. Lavoie, C. O. Mulcany, R. J. McCabe, L. J. Mullin, T. P. Spottswood, J. R. Havey, A. J. St. Hilaire, C. S. Mulvihill, C. Calder, D. McGrath, F. Rosar, D. J. Schefter, Rene LeClaire, Greg Toner, Larry Hebert, Joe Francis, Frank Foley, Bruce Desarmia
4 - Dining Car Menu for Little Folks published by Canadian National Railways circa 1944
5 - Deed of Land and Certificate of Registration from McLachlin Brothers Limited to Augustine Frank Long and Esther Kathleen Long for property and house located on the east side of Daniel Street beside the Madawaska Bridge (next to Macnamara House). Sale date March 6 1942. Accompanying photocopy of article about demolition of this home (originally an office of McLachlin Bros.) in 1974.
6 - Arnprior business directory published by Renwick & Associates Real Estate Inc. 1988 with various advertising and profiles of local businesses.
7 - Photo copy of The Echo (publication of Arnprior High School) March 15 1938.
8 - ADHS Commencement Program held on Friday December 18 1959 and Program for the Official Opening of the Arnprior District High School Addition held May 22 1963.
1888 Newspaper also has articles about new town hall to be built in Arnprior
Miscellaneous material donated in 2015
See page 49 of The Arnprior Story for more information about Charles Hornidge.
See 1995-0059 for other ADHS Year books