Robert M. Gemmell lived in the stone house known as “the Hill” from 1933 to 1942. Originally, the grove was called Deer Park by the McLachlin family who sold it to Mr. Gemmell. Thus the McLachlin Grove became Gemmell’s Grove. In the mid 1930’s Gemmell sold the Grove section to Mr. D. A. Gillies and today it is known as "Gillies Grove".
Scope and Content
This small fonds consists of two items. This first is a postcard of Gemmel's Grove circa 1939. The second item is a negative of Regan's Store in Sandy Beach circa 1940. At that time it was owned by the Regan family from Ottawa. Before that it was operated by Tim Mulvihill Sr. The donor, Mrs. Jean McTeer, remembers walking through the grove as a teenager to sit on the long covered porch at the back of the building to have ice cream and listen to the juke box.