1. Photocopy of 1965/68 photos “The first church services in the area were held in this log barn, built in 1933. On the farm of Alan McLeod (east of Burnstown).
2. Photocopy of framed note in Waba Cottage Museum, extract of a letter by Miss Carrie Fisher (1964) re Canaan Church, 1840 ...
Key terms: Church Field Stewarts; John McNab; John Stewart; Johnson’s Rock at Burnstown Bridge; Rev. Fairbairn; Alexander Mann; “Auld Kirk”; “Free Kirk”; Rev. C.S. Fraser; Rev. George Bremner; Barns.
3. Typewritten copy of legal description pertaining to the “Fisher House” in what used to be Canaan. Owned (in 1997) by Marion Buchanan and John Buchanan (purchased from Robert Russell and Nancy Russell in 1980).
4. Photocopy of picture (Public Archives) and story by Harry Hinchley, in Renfrew Mercury-Advance, May 23, 1973, about the Fisher Barn (Donald Fisher) in Canaan. Key terms: McCallum, “Chief’s cabinet council”.
5. Snapshot photo by Adele McLeod of the Fisher House (about 1983).
6. Photocopy of article by Bernie Bedore in the Renfrew Advance of April 16, 1964, “The Canaan Church, Part 2”.
7. Photocopy of articles dated October 18, 1964 in a local newspaper, entitled “What mean these stones: by Dr. Neil G. Smith, and “Church erects ... Canaan cairn”, with photos.
8. Photocopy (3 pages) of a letter dated in Horton Township, Feb. 12, 1842 by John McIntyre to his sister, Miss Rachel MacIntyre in Morristown. John (apparently a school teacher) describes how he settled in Canaan. “A church is now erected on widow Stewart’s lot in Canaan, it is not quite finished yet, but it is fit for preaching ...”
9. Handwritten transcript (unsigned), dated Aug. 17, 1987, about the history of School Section 10, McNab (Second Line School) - the Canaan School. Key terms: Miss Halliday; Jean Woods; Colin J. Thompson. Source: Renfrew Mercury, 1912 (Microfilm). Also: Doris Humphrey: “Horton - Story of a Township”, page 154.
10. Clipping from local newspaper (date?) of an article “Church Plaque Dedicated”, photos of Rev. Dr. Neil Smith and the commemorative plaque at Canaan being unveiled by “Mrs. (Dr.) Hugh Cochrane”. Church was built in 1840 on Lot 23, Concession 2, three miles west of Burnstown. First minister was Rev. Alexander Mann (Established Church of Scotland).