File contains information about Clay Bank School and about a timber raft rumoured to be in the Madawaska River near the Clay Bank. In the 1990s, Clay Bank is a small rural area along the “White Lake Road”. There are no signs identifying the area.
1. One typewritten page by an unknown writer about Clay Bank school (SS No. 8, McNab). Legree family. Peter Duff. Ben Legree. John Thoms. William Cunningham. Athol Moorhead. The school was closed in 1949 when the students were transferred to Pine Grove School. Elsie Laughlin (teacher). Mamie Halpenny (teacher).
2. Photocopy of a picture postcard showing Clay Bank bridge (original owned by Jimmy Forrest of McNab Township).
3. Photocopy of a typescript of a report by Nick Nickels on the Investigation of Buried Squared Timber Cribs at Flat Rapids, Madawaska River, August 1964. “Where the 9th concession road intersects the river, one mile north of the hamlet of Clay Bank”. Built in the early 1880s. Goodfellow’s Bay. Buried under clay, said to contain 11/2 million board feet of squared white pine timber. Original of the report at Algonquin Park Museum (No. APM 0654). Donated by Bernard Shaw (836-5533) of Stittsville, in August 1996. Macrae Lumber. Story was published in the Globe & Mail (1995?).
4. Note re an article about the above slide in Chronicle, Dec. 6, 1929, page 8.
5. Clipping of an article by S. Bernard Shaw in Country Connection, No. 31, summer/autumn 1998, pages 4-5, entitled “Buried Treasure in the Madawaska. Based on previous information. Re logs, log drives, etc. see Chronicle of July 24, 1930, page 3: “15 years ago (1915) 200,000 pulpwood logs on the Madawaska River between High Falls and Arnprior”.