Braeside Dairy was started about 1930 on the McLean Russett farm located in McNab Township. Milk was transported to Braeside and delivered door to door. McLean Russett took over delivering milk to Braeside after Gordon Hyde retired. Later, a small dairy was built on the corner of Pem-Ott Road about 1936. Claude Desjardins pasturized the milk there until 1943. Hartley Kerr was then hired to work at the dairy until about 1947. Ebert McQuaig took over this job until Blythe Russett started pasteurizing from 1950 to 1955. The Braeside Dairy was purchased by Merryside Dairy of Arnprior in the fall of 1955 following the death of Rayburn Russett. Milk from the farm was sold to Merryside Dairy for approximately four years before Merryside was sold to Smith's Dairy. In 1964, Smiths began picking up milk at area farms by truck. Bill and Blythe Russett continued in the dairy business producing bulk milk until 1990.
Scope and Content
The photographs (copy prints) in this small fonds include:
McLean Russett, Claude Desjardins with horse and delivery wagon, Braeside Dairy in Braeside, the dairy converted to a house, bottle caps from Russett's Dairy and Braeside Dairy, McLean Russett with children Gloria and Bill circa 1930 in a the McLean Russett Dairy truck.