Mrs. Gordon (Helen) Fraser had the photograph of 148-152 John street made in 1994 from a negative she found among her late husband's belongings in the basement of their home. She remembers that in the 1930s the building looked more or less the way it looks in the picture. She remembers that a night policeman named Gallagher was then living upstairs. The Arnprior Bookshop is now (1994) located at 152, and Bonnie Jane's Scones is preparing to move into 148. The upstairs is now rented to Don Gauvreau, taxi operator (Valley Cab), who owned the building for about 10 years before he sold it in 1990 to the present owner, Marg Pocket and her husband of Superior Photo. Leo Lavoie remembers that the ticket office was owned first by John R., then by his son John W.C. ("Cloud") Tierney. They later moved the business north on John Street (to where the Pizza Palace is now). At that location, Leo Lavoie took it over on April 1, 1934.
The other photograph concerns the "New Bridge" over the Madawaska River at Arnprior, 1898. The photo was developed by the Wallis Studio, Galvin Block, Arnprior. The postcards represent street scenes of Arnprior. There are two views of the "Driveway", (John Street); John Street at entrance to the Wharf (the present day site of Simpson Park and the entrance to the Oblates’ property); Daniel Street; Madawaska Street; The C.P.R. and Grand Trunk Bridges; the Cemetery in Arnprior; and the Roman Catholic Church in Arnprior. The postcard showing the Roman Catholic Church was published by J. Chambers of Arnprior.
Postcards depict local Arnprior scenes from the late 1800s to early 1900’s and have the following titles: “View from the Bridge”, “Chat’s Lake from the Hill”, “Sunset on the Ottawa River”, “Bird’s eye view of Arnprior looking north”, “John Street, Arnprior”, “Public School, Arnprior”, “Arnprior Post Office”, “Driveway Arnprior”. The clipping concerns the Grand Benefit Performance, Arnprior, June 1, 1881. An 1897 program for Lent from Emmanuel Church in Arnprior directs parisheners in prayer, almsgiving and fasting as set out by A. H. Coleman, Rector.
Photo Description Year
1 b&w “New Bridge over the Madawaska River at Arnprior”,
Wallis Studio, Galvin Block, Arnprior,
photo on matte 1898
1 b&w Reproduction of store front on John Street circa late 1800s
Mrs. Fraser did not donate the negative for the photograph of John Street.
Note: There is an article in the Arnprior Watchman of Mar. 7, 1919, page 3 regarding negotiations for the sale of the Galvin Block and other properties (largest real estate transaction in Arnprior history — price is $45,000).