The collection consists of notes and photographs compiled by authors Peter Hessel and Kathry Boys during the research for the book, “Mighty Fine Bread and Fancy Pastry”; published in 1994.
1. File containing rough notes and questionnaires for various bakeries including Arnprior Home Bakery, owned and operated by Hans Peschel, Milton Styles Bakery (with interviews with Billy Hobbs and Veronica Laderoute), Lorne Whyte Bakery, Bonnie Jane Scones, Loeb Grocery Store Bakery, information about other bakeries and pastry shops such as Aunt Sarah's, Donut Delight and Mr. Mugs. Also, a poem to Faye from fellow employees at the Bread Basket. A newspaper article giving a brief history of William Daze, owner of Arnprior Crown Bakery. Also includes a clipping of an advertisement for this bakery.
2. File containing information about Slater's Bakery: Slater family history, a history of the Slater family bakery and a map outlining the development of the Slater, Whyte and Styles bakery, photocopied photos pertaining to Stanley Slater's bakery. Notes taken during interviews with former employees of Slater's bakery and from family members, notes from an interview with Catherine Cameron. Orville Slater's recipe book from the 1950's.
3. File containing photograph negatives for book and token for 1 loaf of bread at J. L. Whyte bakery.
4. File containing Book Launch information and miscellaneous correspondence:
- Cover of the book, Mighty Fine Bread and Fancy Pastry.
- Two photographs of the two authors signing copies of their book at its official launching ceremony.
- Minutes of a speech made by Peter Hessel at the book launching ceremony on October 29, 1994.
- Letter from the National Library of Canada to the Arnprior and District Historical Society regarding a copy of the book, Mighty Fine Bread and Fancy Pastry.
-Letter from Peter Hessel to Arnprior and District High School Principal, Tony Cuccaro, thanking him on the support received from the school, staff and students at the book launching ceremony, dated November 1, 1994.
- Fax from the printer to Peter Hessel regarding the book, Mighty Fine Bread and Fancy Pastry.
- Invitation from the Arnprior and District Historical Society to the Arnprior and Renfrew News and the Ottawa Citizen to attend the launching of Mighty Fine Bread and Fancy Pastry.
- Bulletin board advertisement for the book launching
- Newspaper article (October 16, 1994) from the Arnprior News on the bakery project.
- Picture of Peter Hessel, Kathryn Boys, and Helen Hall, nee Slater, at the book launching, October 29, 1994
- Newspaper photograph of Peter Hessel and Kathryn Boys
- A printed invitation to the book launching ceremony.
5. 1994-0027-M001 Rough sketch of map and graph on the history of Arnprior bakeries.
6. Two copies of the book, “Mighty Fine Bread and Fancy Pastry”
See also file: “Slater Family” in Peter Hessel Fonds.