3 m of textual records and other material including 230 photographs; 3 audio cassettes; 17 maps
History / Biography
Arnold Muirhead was born in Carleton Place January 18 1903, attended Queen’s University where he graduated from chemical engineering in 1926 and eventually came to work in Braeside for Gillies Bros. and company Ltd. in 1948. He became a director in 1950, vice-president of the firm in 1958 and served as President by 1964. He was elected president of the Canadian Lumberman’s Association in 1961 and played an important role in the preservation of the Gillies Grove through his work with the Land Preservation Society of the Ottawa Valley. Mr. Muirhead was fond of canoeing and spent much of his spare time out of doors. He was an active member of the Arnprior Curling Club, Arnprior Historical Society and the Arnprior & District Archives which he helped establish in 1993. In August of 2000 he received the Town Crest just before he left Arnprior to live with his family out west. Mr. Muirhead died in Vancouver, British Columbia on February 19, 2001 at the age of 98.
A small amount of miscellaneous documents were donated in 1995 by Mr. Muirhead, and the rest in June 2000. In December 2012, Arnold Muirhead's daughter, Mrs. Anne Gartshore donated an accrual of material that had been in her possession since her father's death in 2001.
Scope and Content
The Arnold Gillies Muirhead fonds consists of various records related to Mr. Muirhead’s professional life and recreational interests including family history, lumbering history and early transportation systems along the Ottawa River as well as the history of the Gillies Bros. Lumber company.
The files of correspondence, articles and collected material contained in this fonds generally relate to Arnprior history, the Canadian lumber industry, Gillies Bros. and the Gillies family as well as Grace St. Andrew’s United Church. The Arnprior Art Club’s Minute Book belonged to Mrs. Gwendolyn Muirhead, an artist who belonged to this group. A small file and two maps containing information on the Chat’s Canal in this fonds relate to other records donated by Mr. Muirhead to the National Archives.
A large portion of the fonds consists of copies of photographs of lumbering operations, Carleton Place, Herron’s Mills and family members that were donated to the National Archives of Canada. The newspaper clippings have been placed into file folders by the archivist according to broad subject headings. A small number of maps pertaining to the Gillies Bros. operations and family settlement in the Beckwith area of Lanark County are also included in this collection. Each map is also described at the item level in this database.
BOX 1 contains files and publications: H14.1
1. Arnold Gillies - personal
2. McEwens of Beckwith
3. Box family
4. Arnprior History
5. Chat’s Canal
6. Arnprior & District Historical Society
7. H. Kennedy
8. Gillies Bros. - Business Records
9. Gillies Bros. - History
10. Gillies Bros. Timber Marks
11. Consolidated Bathurst Inc.
12. Consolidated Bathurst Inc. and Others
13. Miscellaneous Correspondence
14. Grace St. Andrew’s United Church 1840 - 1990 (publication)
15. Arnprior Ministerial Association Minute Book 1939 - 1951
16. Notes re: Grace St. Andrew’s United Church
16. Notes re: Grace St. Andrew’s United Church - Stained Glass Windows
17. Minutes re: Union & History of Methodism in Arnprior
18. Minutes re: Union & History of Presbyterian Church in Arnprior
19. History of Grace St. Andrew’s United Church
20. Grace St. Andrew’s United Church Annual Reports 1960 - 1970
21. Grace St. Andrew’s United Church Annual Reports 1971 - 1981
22. Grace St. Andrew’s United Church Annual Reports 1986 - 1990
23. Grace St. Andrew’s United Church Annual Reports 1991 - 1998
24. Braeside United Church - Annual reports, 50th Anniversary Calandar, History of Braeside United Church 1902-1997
B0X 2 contains the following files: H14.2
1. National Archives of Canada Photo List -
(NA numbers refer to copies of photos that follow)
2. Photos - Trade Shows, Trade Mark and Public Relations
3. Photos - John Cockburn’s Boat Factory, Pembroke
4. Photos - Chats Canal, Chats Falls & Chats Dam
4a Photos - Oblique photographs (and photocopies) obtained from Air Photo Division of Energy Mines and Resources by Arnold Muirhead of Chat Falls and Bristol Quebec, the Pontiac area, Chats Lake from 1927 - 1967. Inventory list in file. Prints arranged by date.
5. Photos - Bush Operations - Otter Lake P.Q. (includes 1948 photo of John A. Gillies)
10. Photos - Miscellaneous including circa 1870 views of Arprior taken from Daniel McLachlin's residence.
11. Photos - Old Braeside Mill (pre 1919)
12. Photos - Braeside Mill (1921-1980)
13. Inventory of the Gillies Bros. & Co. Papers (F150 Archives of Ontario)
14. Arnprior Art Club - Minute Book & Treasurer’s Account 1966 - 1997
15. Gillies Bros. Lumber Price Lists 1940 - 1960
16. J. S. Gillies or D.A. Gillies Letter book 1889 - 1911
17. The Morphy’s of Morphy’s Falls - Family History
18. Family Record of Muirhead & Gillies Families, McEwen, Brodie and Ogilvie
19. Binder of Correspondence Relating to “A Hundred Years A’Fellin
20. Binder of Correspondence Relating to “A Hundred Years A’Fellin
21. Gillies Bros. Limit Summaries - 1955
BOX 3 contains files of newspaper clippings etc. relating to: H14.3
1. Arnold Gillies Muirhead - personal
2. Gillies Family
3. Gillies Bros. and two large, mounted photographs of the Braeside mill circa 1922
5. Canadian Lumber Industry
6. Chief McNab and Waba Cottage
7. Miscellaneous clippings
SCAPBOOK 1909 - 1943 H14.5
Mrs. John Gillies and later Mrs. N. S. Robertson (Ida Robertson) used a Gillies Bros. ledger for their scrapbook into which they pasted social and political news of the day including births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, royal family news, World War II news and coverage of the Dionne Quintuplets. Some of the ledger entries made between 1872 and 1873 can still be read beneath the scrapbook items.
PORTRAITS; Mrs. James (Eleanor Ackland) Gillies and James Gillies (parents of D.A. Gillies) Map Cabinet #1, Dwr 14
FRAMED PHOTOGRAPHS - Gillies Plant and Yard in Pembroke, Waltham Plant & Braeside Yard presented to Arnold Muirhead upon his retirement in 1967.
Item M014; Public Works Canada Georgian Bay Ship Canal Lake Huron to Montreal 22 foot Channel Project, Mile 132 to 165, plate #8
Item M015; Public Works Canada Georgian Bay Ship Canal Lake Huron to Montreal 22 foot Channel Project, Mile 165 to 198, plate #9
Item M016; Algonquin, Ontario Sht # 31 E.N.E.
ORAL HISTORY INTERVIEWS - 1997, 1998 H14.3
Two interviews were conducted by Laurie Dougherty and John Baker with Mr. Muirhead at his home on September 20, 1997 and January 18, 1998. Transcripts of the contents of the audio cassette tapes do not exist at this time. Mr. Muirhead talks about his early life, his trip to Europe as a young man, working up north as an engineer and working at Gillies Bros. Ltd. in Braeside.
Historical Atlas of Lanark & Renfrew Counties 1880-1881 (Reference Room)
A large accrual occured in December 2012. Several land documents were transferred to the Lanark County Archives in February 2013 as per the donor's wishes as they relate to land transactions that took place in Carleton Place and Beckwith Township. The accrual and items transferred are listed below:
BOX 4 G19.1
1. Ledger containing Entries from the Estate of the late William Muirhead and the late Agnes McLaren 1870 – 1890
2. Scrap Book containing mainly religious articles 1903-1924. Membership card for William Muirhead – Hardware Merchant 1923 for the Retail Merchants Association of Canada. Original invitation to a reception for the Duke & Duchess of Cornwall & York Sept 18 1901 for Mr. & Mrs. James Gillies. A note on the envelope indicates that this was found in Mrs. Jas. Gillies scrapbook.
3. Folder “Ottawa Valley Trust Co. Ottawa” – containing a handwritten list of journals and ledgers sent to the Ontario Archives, Toronto. Folder also contains a photocopied handwritten article called Navigation, Ottawa River to Chats Falls by Mary Learmonth, dated 1933 and photocopied map of the Chats Rapids (reduced from an original).
4. Illustrated Catalogue of John Gillies & Co., Carleton Place Ont. Manufacturers of Steam Launches, Shipman and Acme Engines and Boilers 1890
5. Illustrated Catalogue for the Two Cycle Marine Engine built by The John Gillies Estate Co. Limited Carleton Place circa 1906. Catalogue features a photograph of Arnold Gillies Muirhead as a child. A typed transcript from the Carleton Place Herald dated March 6 1906 describes the catalogue.
6. Folder of material related to Gillies Bros. & Co. Ltd. Including the first Collective Agreement drafted by A.G.M., a typed history of Gillies Bros. & Co. Ltd. 1967 by A.G.M., Historical Notes by D.A. Gillies (photocopy), Program for Unveiling and Dedication of Historical Plaque in Commemoration of Gillies Bros. & Co. Ltd. and other material related to Gillies Bros. limits and history.
7. Folder of material consisting correspondence from J. S. Gillies (Vancouver) 1921 to Victoria Colonist and American Lumbering. Also included in folder is material related to holdings in the Gillies-Credille Drilling Co. Ltd (1937) and one map of Wainwright Alberta with locations of various well sites.
8. Speech of the Honourable John Haggart on Transportation, 18 April 1901 (possibly Hansard) which includes comments regarding the building of Georgian Bay and Ottawa Canal.
9. Envelope containing several typed and handwritten papers delivered by A.G.M. on Navigation of Chats Lake, Chats Lake Portages, the Horse Railroad and Early Transportation in the Ottawa Valley. Contour map fragment of Lac Des Chats. Also contained in the file is an Excerpt from a Report of the Commissioners of Public Works for the years 1852 and 1853 with handwritten notes by A.G.M. and correspondence with the Dept. of Transport regarding the Chats Canal works.
10. Envelope containing a history of Herron’s Mills by Jack Brown 1972 and correspondence regarding the preservation of the site.
11. Contour map of Arnprior 31 F/8 West half showing Arnprior and Pakenham (ripped)
12. Photographed Copy of the General Plan of the Vicinity of The Chat’s Rapids 1845 showing Part of the Township of Fitzroy, Mohr’s Island, Chat’s house, proposed slide, etc.
13. File of handwritten correspondence and extracts compiled by Howard M. Brown from the Carleton Place Weekly Herald and Bathurst Courier regarding items of historical interest on the use of the Mississippi River at Carleton Place as well as references to James C. Poole and other topics.
14. Envelope containing photocopied article by D.A. Gillies entitled “Notes on Square Timber” 1961, and a program for the “Unveiling and Dedication of an Historical Plaque to Commemorate Timber Rafting on the Ottawa River and her Tributaries” 1967. Also, a photocopied brochure about the “Chutes Coulonge” is contained in this file, an article The Camboose Shanty by Charles Macnamara, and other items related to the history of square timber.
15. File containing paper entitled “John Gillies’ Businesses after 1874 which was compiled by A.G.M. Also contained in the file is information about Ferdinand Beyer.
16. File containing correspondence with historian C. C. J. Bond of the National Capital Commission regarding the preservation of Gillies Machine Shop in Carleton Place, 1964. File also contains a copy of a Report on a Machine-Shop, Associated with a Water-Driven Textile Mill in Carleton Place Ontario by the NCC Information & Historical Division dated 1964.
17. Correspondence with Peter McLaren regarding the estate of John Gillies Sr. 1913.
18. Miscellaneous Correspondence file containing correspondence of James Gillies to John Gillies 1870; Photocopied page of The Globe 1882 containing notice regarding gold medal awarded to Gillies Son & Co, Carleton Place for woolen tweeds in the Toronto Exhibition; Correspondence to Hon. Frank Cochrane, Minister of Railways and Canals 1911; Letter from Mrs. Burns 1898 to John Gillies regarding a house; Receipt for Braeside Inn 1873; Notice of Annual General meeting of Gillies Bros. 1900; Photocopy of Recapitulation of John Gillies Cash Account from 20th July 1856 to 31 December 1870; Receipt for Taber& McCrae 1906 and calling cards of Mrs. W. Wilson Taber; Correspondence with Edward Masak regarding steam engines 1968; Several receipts for purchases by David Gillies 1904-1907 including those from W. J. Muirhead and Taylor Bros. and Central Canada Machine Works; A. Russell & Son business card (Arnprior C. W.)
BOX 4 - PHOTOGRAPHS
1. Herron’s Mills - Several b&w prints and negatives taken in 1942 and 1950’s by A.G.M. Also, three colour slides of the mill taken in 1962. Several prints are identified with PA numbers which were copied by National Archives of Canada.
2. Family Photographs – 13 mounted b&w prints of various family members identified by A.G.M. and which date from 1880’s to circa 1896. Folder also contains one reproduction negative done in 1973 from original of Mary Eleanor Gillies. This folder contains a photograph of A.G.M. which is very similar to the one used on the catalogue cover for Two Cycle Marine Engine. Folder also contains a photograph of several people on the porch of a white frame home which is not identified by A.G.M.
3. Carleton Place – Approximately 10 b&w prints and two colour prints documenting scenes of Carleton Place including one showing John Gillies’ Machine Shop & Boat Building establishment taken by Hammond of Carleton Place. This was copied by the National Archives of Canada.
4. Logging – Approximately 10 b&w prints plus several negatives related to lumbering in the Temiskaming, Coulonge and Petawawa areas. Also contained in this folder are b&w negatives showing Cobalt scenes circa 1900.
5. List of PA numbers and captions for A.G.M. Collection (loan for copying) at National Archives of Canada and letter from Archivist Peter Robertson regarding the photos.
1. Invitation to John Webster’s Art show which shows a watercolour painting of Brown’s Flour and Grist Mill after the fire.
2. Constable print obtained by A.G.M. from the National Gallery of London showing a horse railway
3. Line drawing reproduction of an old lady with note on back which reads John’s mother (?) and envelope from Nationalmusei Fotografiforsaljing [Holland?]
BOX 4 - PUBLISHED MATERIAL
1. Queen’s University Alumni Review 1968 – includes tribute to David Armitage Gillies
2. Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources publication “White Pine – Ontario Celebrates Its History” 1984
Items Transfered from Arnprior McNab/Braeside Archives to Lanark Co. Archives February 2013
Arnold Muirhead fonds 1995-0047. A few documents were photocopied before being transferred to Lanark. They are contained in BOX 4 above
Folder 1 – Description of Contents pertaining to Canada Woolen Mills of Carleton Place.
1. Bank of Ottawa account book belonging to John Gillies (Braeside) for Woolen Dept. 1902
2. Agreement outlining formation of the John Gillies Estate Co. Ltd. 27 February 1897
3. Description of Right of Way to cross John Gillies Estate Woolen Factory property (undated)
4. Description of John Gillies Estate Woolen Factory property (undated)
5. Several drafts (with revisions) of Deed between John Gillies Estate Co. Ltd. to Canada Woolen Mills Ltd. 1900
6. Papers in connection with Canada Woolen Mills including correspondence
(Folder 2 - contained in BOX 2)
Transfer from Arnprior McNab/Braeside Archives to Lanark Co. Archives February 2013
Arnold Muirhead fonds 1995-0047
Folder 3 – Deeds and Legal papers pertaining to Daniel McLaren as described by Arnold Gillies Muirhead
1. Deed of Sale – Alexander McLaren to Daniel McLaren, 400 acres being whole of Lot 4, SW ½ of Lot 5 and the SW ½ of Lot 5 in the 5th Concession of Becwith for 400 lbs, 12 February 1844. Witnessed by John McDonald and Wm. Muirhead. Statuary declaration of witness made by John McDonald Nov 2 1870. The deed was not registered until Nov 3 1870. The present, registered copy was issued April 23, 1873.
2. Fire Insurance Policy – 37118 for $2200.00 issued by the Provincial Insurance Company of Canada to Daniel McLaren covering sawmill $1000.00 and a two storey frame building both located on Lot 14 in the 12th Concession of the Township of Beckwith dated July 10, 1869.
3. Lease – Daniel McLaren to George Alonzo Duley dated March 5 1873 covering Lots 4 and SW ½ Lot 5 of the 5th Concession of Beckwith with buildings etc. at $100.0 per year to run for 19 years and pay the taxes and keep under proper cultivation with reservation of the main part of the dwelling house and garden and certain services. This lease lasted only four years as abstract of Registry office shows this same property leased to John Clark & James Morphy on April 14 1877. It was also mortgaged along with SW ½ Lot 6 in the 5th Concession to the Canadian Permanent Building and Savings Society July 21 1873.
4. Mortgage in Fee – Daniel McLaren to Canada Permanent Buildings & Savings Society for $4000.00 for Lot 4 and the SW ½ of Lots 5 & 6 in the 5th Concession of Township of Beckwith, 400 acres, to run for 10 years. Repayment at rate of $619.209 annually, 21 July 1873.
5. Lease – Daniel McLaren to John Clark and James Morphy dated April 14, 1877 covering Lots 4 and the SW ½ of Lot 5 of the 5th Concession of Beckwith at $100.00 per year to run for 13 years with similar reservations as in the Duley Lease (above).
6. Mortgage in Fee – Daniel McLaren to the Canada Permanent Building & Savings Society for $2600.00 for Lots 4 and the SW ½ of Lots 5 & 6 in the 5th Concession of Township of Beckwith, dated March 25 1879. Repayment at the rate of $320.45 annually for 15 years.
7. Review of Chain of Ownership – of Lots 4 and the SW ½ of Lots 5 & 6 in the 5th Concession of Township of Beckwith, from the Crown Grant onwards to May 1873.
8. Probate of Will – of Daniel McLaren who died Nov 15 1879. This will was dated march 25 1879. Duncan McLaren and John R. McLaren were named as executors but they renounced their right to the probate and the Surrogate Court granted letters of administration on Dec 19 1881 to Isabella McLeod one of the beneficiaries under the will who along with her sister Mary were his servants. This will left 500 lbs to his niece Jemima J. Muirhead which was mentioned in his sister Agnes’s will. He did not leave anything to Daniel and William Muirhead also mentioned in Ages’s will but left all the remainder of his estate including Lot 4 and SW ½ Lot 5 and SW ½ Lot 6 of Beckwith to Mary and Isabella McLeod. Apparently, Christina Muirhead, his nephew’s widow acting as guardian for her three children, had this will set aside.
Folder 4 – Deeds and Legal papers pertaining to Daniel McLaren as described by Arnold Gillies Muirhead
1. Copy of Wm Muirhead’s will May 12 1870. He died Nov 18 1870
1a. Copy of Alexander Muirhead’s will Sept 7 1852
2. Probate Estate of Wm Muirhead July 20 1878
3. Letter of Guardianship to Christina Muirhead April 8 1880
3a. Probate Estate of Ages McLaren June 10 1871
4. Assignment of Mortgage – Daniel McLaren mortgaged Lots 4, ½ of 5 & 6 on the 5th Concession for $6600 in 2 mortgages from The Canada Permanent Loan & Savings Co. July 21 1873. On his death the amount still outstanding was $3095.50 and the property devolved in Christina Muirhead’s inheritance.
5. She paid off the Canada Permanent on Sept 9 1880 by mortgaging the property to Catherine Forgie on Sept 98 1880 for $2500.00 at 8%.
6. Deed of Bargain & Sale – Daniel McLaren to Samuel Bell March 25 1879 covering Lot 125 Section B Village of Carleton Place (the stone house eventually owned by the Muirhead’s) for a certain annuity and $200.00 in cash. This is No. 37 Bell Street.
7. Annuity Deed – Samuel Bell to Daniel McLaren dated March 25 1879 of $100.00 per year paid half yearly during the life time of Daniel McLaren. (Note Daniel died Nov 15, 1879)
8. Mortgage – July 16 1879 Samuel Bell mortgaged the property referred to in item 6 above, namely, Lot 125 with the stone house to Ellen Spalding of the Township of North Elmsly for $800.00 at 9% interest.
9. Mortgage – August 28 1879 Samuel Bell obtained a secured mortgage for $815.00 on Lot 125 referred to above from Alice Metcalf, widow of Carleton Place, payable in 3 years at 9% interest.
10. Assignment of Mortgage – Alice Metcalf assigned Oct 4 1880 to Christina Muirhead the mortgage referred to in item 9 above for $886.00 with Samuel Bell being a witness to the transaction.
11. Assignment of Mortgage – Ellen Spalding assigned Dec 20 1880 to Christina Muirhead the mortgage referred to in item 10 above for $1000.00. Samuel Bell was in default of interest from July 16 1879. Bell was not a witness to this assignment.
12. Final Order Foreclosure – High Court of Justice, Chancery Division. Muirhead vs Bell Jan 15 1883. Bell was debarred and foreclosed from all rights of redemption of the mortgaged premises. Hence, Christina Muirhead obtained possession of the stone house at Lot 125.
13. Agreement – between Mary McLeod and Christina Muirhead December 5 1881. Mary and her sister Isabella were Daniel McLaren’s housekeepers. Apparently, Daniel McLaren in a death bed will, left all his estate to the McLeod sisters. Christina Muirhead was successful in recovering all the real estate and chattles.
14. Deed of Land – Peter McKay to Christina Muirhead, West ½ Lot 6 on the 5th Concession, Jan 9 1882.
15. Court Order – Christina Muirhead awarded guardianship of her three children all minors and that she and David Cameron are authorized to sign a lease of lands and premises (the saw mill and mill site at Carleton Place) to Peter McLaren of Perth.
16. Will - of John McEwen (newcome John), father of Christina Muirhead dated April 20, 1995. He died July 19 1893.
17. Agreement of Sale – Christina Muirhead et al to the Canadian Lumber Co. Nov 11 1887 covering the sale of Lots 124 and 137 Carleton Place (the sawmill & lumber yard) to take effect on the expiration of the lease to Peter McLaren which he assigned to the Canadian Lumber Co. namely May 20 1890 for $15000.00. The lease is the one referred to in item 15 above.
18. Agreement for Sale of Land between Christina Muirhead and Peter McKay and Alexander McKay dated Nov 26 1887 for Lots 4 and W ½ Lot 5 in the 5th Concession of Beckwith (300 acres) for $1800.00.
19. Quit Claim Deed – Christina Muirhead and Jemina J. Box to William John Muirhead as to their interest in Daniel Alexander Muirhead’s estate who died intestate July 23 1912 for Lots 124 and part of Lot 137 for a cash consideration.
20. Lease – Daniel McLaren to Peter Campbell dated March 31 1874 for the second flat in the frame house between the stone house and the Masonic hall on Lot 125 Bell Street, Carleton Place.
Folder 5 – Deeds and Legal papers pertaining to Estate of Daniel McLaren & Muirhead
1. Quit Claim Deed – James McRoris and Archibald McArthur, Jan 3 1882 for $100.00 for 2 parts of a part of the West ½ Lot 15 Concession 12 along the Mississippi River.
2. Quit Claim – Tom Morphy & Mary Morphy to Frances Brooks Jessop wife of Francis W. K. Jessop of Perth for 11 acres as part of SW ½ of Lot 15 in the 12th Concession for 5 shillings.
3. Memorial – relating to a Deed Jan 17 1826 between William John Morphy to Hugh Boulton for part of the NE ½ Lot 14 and all of the SW ½ of Lot 15 in the 12th Concession of Beckwith for 63 lbs 15 shillings.
4. Memorial – Agreement between Frances Brooks Wright (wife) and Francis William Kinnere Jessop of Beckwith (merchant) and Charles Henry Sache of Perth regarding 11 acres SW ½ Lot 15 Concession 12 and 200 acres E ½ Lot 13 Concession 10 of Ramsay and W ½ Lot 14 Concession 12 of Ramsay. Details of lands owned by Frances B. Wright before her marriage to Francis W. K. Jessop. 13 June 1840.
5. Deed - Francis William Kinnear Jessop of Bechwith and wife Frances Brooks Jessop to Charles Henry Sache of Perth and wife Jane Sache in trust to Archibald McArthur of Carleton Place (merchant) 1 April 1858 for 250 lbs for 11 acres as part of SW ½ Lot 15 Concession 12 of Beckwith. Mentions Hugh Boulton’s land and that Jane Sache bars her dower. Signed by John Murray and John Doran, Justices of the Peace for the United Counties of Lanark & Renfrew.
6. Deed – 4 Jan 1882 Alexander McArthur to John Gillies (Lumber merchant) of Carleton Place and wife Margaret for 40 thousand for 1 acre in Carlton Place as part of the NE ½ of Lot 14 and the SW ½ of Lot 15 in the 12th Concession of Beckwith. This parcel includes land and water and mill site on the Mississippi River. Witnessed by Joseph Jamieson of Almonte.
7. Deed – Bargain & Sale – Hugh Boulton of Carleton Place to Alexander McLaren for 350 lbs for NE ½ Lot 14 & SW ½ Lot 15 in the 12th Concession of Beckwith, April 14 1841
8. Bond – from Alexander McLaren to Hugh Boulton, for loan of 350 lbs to be repaid by Hugh Boulton by April 14 1846.
9. Deed – Bargain & Sale – Alexander McLaren to Hugh Boulton for 486 lbs for part of NE ½ Lot 14 & SW ½ Lot 15 in the 12th Concession of Beckwith, 14 April 1846.
10. Deed – Robert Bell & Emiline Bell to Hugh Bolton (Miller) for NE ½ of Lot 14 & SW ½ Lot 15 in Concession 12th, April 12 1850.
11. Bargain & Sale – Hugh Boulton to Robert Bell for 500 lbs for NE ½ Lot 14 and SW ½ Lot 15 in the 12th Concession, reserving to Alexander Morris, William Moore and Mannie Nowlan such portions of land deeded to them by Hugh Boulton, Feb 19 1848.
12. Bargain & Sale – Hugh Boulton to Allen McDonald (clothier) for part of NE ¼ Lot 14 in the 12th Concession of Beckwith for 10 lbs, March 17 1846.
13. Memorial – Hugh Boulton of Carleton Place (miller) and wife Mary to Alexander McArthur (merchant) for 100 lbs, part of NE ½ of Lot 14 and SW ½ of Lot 15 in the 12th Concession, September 8 1852.
14. Deed of Bargain & Sale – Hugh Boulton to Allen McDonald for part of NE ¼ of Lot 14 in the 12th Concession, 23 December 1857.
15. Copy of Will – Hugh Boulton, all lands and mill, buildings etc. to son Hugh Boulton with provisions to unmarried daughters Mary Ann, Nancy and Jane Boulton dated 14 Feb 1860.
16. Will – Hugh Boulton dated April 8 1858
17. Will – John Morphy dated November 13 1860
Folder 6 – Assorted land instruments
1. List - Description of Instruments starting June 11 1824 with Patent for East ½ of Lot 14 in the 12th Concession and West ½ of Lot 15 being 80 acres each to William Morphy, and ending in 1860.
2. Letter – from William H. Whylie of Tweed & Shaw Mills of Carleton Place regarding lease agreement with A. McArthur dated October 17 1879
3. List – Description of Instruments starting 13 June 1827 with Deed from Hugh Boulton to William Moore and ending with Mortgage from Hugh Bolton to A. McArthur.
4. Description of 2 parcels of lands – part of W ½ Lot 15 Concession 12, William Neelin to A. McArthur for 5 acres, (undated).
5. Abstract of Title – for Lot 18 and North ½ Lot 19 of 7th Concession of Beckwith, March 26 1884
6. Abstract of Title – for Lot B, Section D in Carleton Place dated 23 December 1881.
7. Abstract of Title – for Lot 73, Section D in Carleton Place dated 23 December 1881.
8. Abstract of Title – for E ½ Lot 15 in the 12th Concession of Beckwith dated 23 December 1881.
9. Abstract of Title – for W ½ Lot 15 in the 12th Concession dated 23 December 1881
10. Map – drawn by Arnold Gillies Muirhead of Lot 14 and 15 in the 12th Concession of Beckwith.
11. Deed – James Morphy & Mary Morphy of Carleton Place to Napoleon Lavallee for $950.00 for
E ½ Lot 15 in the 12th Concession being 40 acres dated November 3 1869.
12. Deed – Napoleon & Sarah Lavallee to Archibald McArthur, for $550.00 for E ½ Lot 15 in the 12th Concession being 40 acres dated September 21 1870.
13. Various assessment notices and receipts for James Gillies and John Gillies.
14. Manitoba lands – Correspondence and Receipts for taxes and abstract of title for land belonging to John Gillies (various dates)
15. Manitoba lands – Memo of Estate accounts
16. Winnipeg Deed – James Penrose to John Gillies for Section 5 in the 6th Township in Range 1 West of the meridian line.
17. Statement – regarding land in County of Provencher belonging to Sara Vandal, wife of Joseph Sutherland.
Folder 7 – Miscellaneous documents
1. Folder of Descriptions and Conditions of Sale of Property Belonging to the Estate of the late John Gillies. 7 parcels are listed along with Terms of Purchase for property in Cobden, Beckwith, Carleton Place, Winnipeg and Manitoba lands
2. Eighteenth Annual Report of the Directors for the Ontario Industrial Loan and Investment Co. dated 31st December 1898.
3. Envelope with Reliance Loan and Savings Co. of Ontario Carleton Place Local Board brochures dated 1887. Findlay McEwan Esquire is listed.
Folder 2 (Oversized) – Deeds and Legal papers pertaining to Daniel McLaren as described by Arnold Gillies Muirhead
1. Crown Grant – to Robert Smith of the Township of Drummond in the County of Carleton District of Johnston late sergeant in his Majesty’s Royal Marines, 100 acres being the NE ½ of Lot 4 in the 5th Concession of Beckwith, County of Carleton, 23 February 1822.
2. Deed of Sale – from Robert Smith to Robert Goodfellow, 100 acres being NE ½ of lot 4 in the 5th Concession of, County of Carleton for 20 lbs, 27 November 1824.
3. Deed of Sale – from Robert Goodfellow to Alexander McLaren, 100 acres being NE ½ of lot 4 in the 5th Concession of Beckwith, County of Carleton for 80 lbs, 24 August 1830.
4. Crown Grant – to John McAllum of the Township of Beckwith, immigrant settler, 100 acres SW ½ of lot 4 in the 5th Concession of Beckwith, County of Carleton, 13 April 1824. Appropriation of 14 2/7 acres for Clergy Reserve in Lot 5 of the second Concession.
5. Deed of Sale – from John McAllum to Duncan McDonald, 100 acres, SW ½ of lot 4 in the 5th Concession of Beckwith, County of Carleton, 11 February 1836 for 55 lbs signed by John McAllum. Duncan McDonald to Alexander McLaren dated 18 February 1836 for SW ½ of lot 4 in the 5th Concession.
6. Crown Grant – to William Goodfellow of the Township of Beckwith, immigrant settler, 100 acres being the SW ½ Lot 5 in the 5th Concession of Beckwith, 19 May 1824. Appropriation of 14 2/7th acres for Clergy Reserve in Lot 17 of the 3rd Concession.
7. Deed of Sale – from William Goodfellow to Alexander Ferguson, 200 acres being the SW ½ Lot 5 in the 5th Concession and SW ½ of Lot 6 in the 5th Concession of Beckwith, for 140 lbs, dated 16 October 1830.
8. Deed of Sale – William Stacey to William Goodfellow, 100 acres being the SW ½ of Lot 6 in the 5th Concession of Beckwith, for 50 lbs, 2 June 1829.
The records have been arranged according to subject and in most cases reflect the original orderin which they were received.
Records relating to the “Save the Grove” project (later known as the Land Preservation Society of the Ottawa Valley) have been processed.
Mr. Muirhead was responsible for the donation of a large group of Gillies Bros. business records to the Archives of Ontario. Researchers interested in Gillies Bros. history should consult the inventory F150 located in Box 2 of this collection.
Accruals are not expected.
See also 2002-0149 Save The Grove/LPSOV fonds
See also Gillies Family Collection 95-0060
Arnprior & District Museum Collection 93-0005; Sub-Series - Industry and Sub-Series - People