Tweedsmuir History books treated for mildew from November 2013 to April 2016
History / Biography
The Dewars Women's Institutute, a branch of Renfrew South District, was formed in May 1941 and disbanded in May 2004. This branch dedicated its efforts in many areas such as child welfare, health, libraries, playgrounds, cooking and sewing. Presidents through the years were:
1941 - Mrs. Crawford Dewar
1943 - Mrs. Donald Dewar
1945 - Mrs. Stewart Carmichael
1947 - Mrs. Herman Bahm
1948 - Mrs. Charles Bahm
1950 - Mrs. George Lavallee
1952 - Mrs. Ronald Dewar
1954 - Mrs. Alfred Bahm
1958 - Mrs. Duncan Dewar
1962 - Mrs. Stan Lemmon
1966 - Mrs. J. M. MacMillan
1968 - Mrs. Dalton Bahm
1971 - Mrs. Duncan Dewar
1975 - Mrs. Alf Bahm
1980 - Mrs. Gar Bryan
The first 5 minute books were donated by the Dewars Women’s Institute in April 1995. The 6th minute book (1986-1996) was donated by Anne Carmichael, a member of Dewar's Institute, in June 1998.
In February 2011, Amy Neill, Renfrew South District W.I.'s Tweedsmuir Co-ordinator, brought in a few more books and items, including the last minute book (1996-2004), Gavel & stand, 1950s binder on Agricultural & Canadian Industries, a few booklets, and miscellaneous reports and newspaper clippings. Two Volumes of Tweedsmuir History were donated in 2013 through the efforts of Mrs. Amy Neill and Mrs. Gloria Hamilton.
Scope and Content
The Dewar Women's Institute fonds consists of three Series: Minutes, Tweedsmuir Histories and Miscellaneous Records.
Series 1: Minute books contain regular monthly, executive and directors’ meetings, annual reports as well as other information such as attendance records and membership lists from 1941-2003. There is a gap in the Minutes between 1977 and 1986
6. 1986-1996 (also contains Financial records)
Series 2: Two volumes of Tweedsmuir Histories:
Book 1 (missing cover) was compiled by curators Mrs. Crawford Dewar, Mrs. Stewart Carmicheal and Mrs. Stan Lemmon. It covers the period 1941 to approx. 1980 and begins with an account of the history of the branch, its charter members, presidents, anniversaries, community projects etc.
Other topics (as taken from titles) include:
- History of the Churches in Dewar's Community (Methodist Church, Baptist Church, Dewar's Presbyterian Church)
- Branch of the L.O.L. Organized At Sand Point, Horton and Sand Point L.O.L. Lodges
- History of First School in Dewar's Settlement (contains list of School Teachers for S.S. No. 7 McNab)
- Farm Forum and Dewar's Junior Farmers
- History of Stewart Carmichael Farm (Lot 16 Con 11 McNab)
- History of the Donald Dewar Farm Home (Lot 21 Con 11 McNab)
- History of the F. Dewar Farm (Lot 20 Con 11 McNab)
- History of the Lynn Property
- The Crawford Dewar Farm (Lot 23 Con 11 McNab)
- History of the John J. Campbell Farm (Lot 24 Con 11 McNab)
- History of the John Caldwell Farm ( Lot 18 Con 9 McNab)
- Home of Charles Bahm (Lot 16 Con 11 McNab)
- Farm Home of Herman Bahm (Lots 14 & 15 Con 10)
- Alfred & Ellen Bahm Farm Home (East 1/2 Lot 13 Con 8 McNab)
- Home of Robert Lavallee (Lot 16 Con 10 McNab)
- Home of John A. Macmillan (Lot 15 Con 11 McNab)
- Home of James MacLaren MacMillan (Lot 14 Con 11 McNab)
- The Donald McMillan Farm Home (Lot 16 Con 9)
- Farm Home of George McLean (Lot 19 Con 11)
- History of the McNulty Farm
- History of the John Odber Farm (Lot 15 Con 10)
- History of the Hugh Stevenson Farm (Lot 21 Con 10)
- History of the Walter Stevenson Farm (Lot 22 Con 10)
- Home of Gordon Stevenson (Lot 22 Con 10)
- History of the MacLean Russett Farm (Lot 7 Con 9)
- History of Malcolm Campbell's Log Barn Built 100 Years Ago (12th Concession)
- Farm History of the Roy McMillan Homestead (Lot 13 Con 11)
Book 2 (Pages Removed from Binder)
Series 3: Miscellaneous Records: Box G5.4
1. Artifact: Gavel and stand. (The gavel is enscribed "In memory of Mrs. Stewart Carmichael September 1981" and the stand is enscribed "Dewars W.I.")
2. Artifact: Rubber stamp with Home and Country crest.
3. Envelope containing Women's Institute Song Book, copyright 1950 and Personal Emergency Plan booklet, c.1999 by Eastern Area Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario
4. "Dewars Women's Institute Agriculture & Canadian Industries" binder compiled by Mrs. Duncan Dewar (removed from binder and placed into two files).
- File 1 contents primarily date from 1950s, although some 1980 reports are included along with Citizenship and Education convenor and other convenor reports. File 1 also contains a newspaper clipping for Mr. & Mrs. Donald Dewar - 50th wedding anniversary c.1964.
Other Miscellaneous reports and information contained in File 1 include:
- 1963-1964 and 1966-1967 report of meetings to Ontario Department of Agriculture
- 1977 Eastern Area Education & Cultural Activities report
- 1980-1981 District Education & Cultural Activities report
- 1981 Eastern Area Education & Cultural Activities report
File 2 contains loose newspaper clippings, reports, and a few interesting tidbits and poems about agriculture and the role of the farm wife.
5. Copy of "Golden Jubilee, A History of Renfrew South Women’s Institute, 1913-1963"
Both volumes of the Tweedsmuir Histories as well as the Dewars Women's Institute Agriculture & Canadian Industries binder have been digitized and are searchable on the FWIO Virtual Archives.
Tweedsmuir Books - please use digitized version rather than original. Searchable online through the FWIO Virtual Archives