Arnold McIntyre, a long-time Arnprior resident, taught English at the Arnprior and District High School for 29 years; he was Head of the English Department and also organized and oversaw the annual yearbook committee.
Donated by Arnold McIntyre in December 1996, January 1997, March 1997, October 2003, January 2007.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of 14 items:
Commencement program dated December 6, 1929 about Arnprior High School, which traces its roots back to 1864-1865, when Dugald C. McNab, Principal of the Arnprior Public School, coached a few of his older students; the school was then called the Arnprior Grammar School; in 1871, its name changed to the Arnprior High School. James Muir was the first Headmaster.
Also included is a May 15, 1945 issue of the Baptist Herald, an American periodical, which is of relevant interest to Arnprior because it contains an obituary notice about Doris Elenor Runtz, daughter of Ferdinand Runtz; the Runtz family were members of the First Baptist Church of Arnprior; the notice was submitted for publication by Reverend A. Stelter.
Another item includes an Annual Report of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Arnprior for the year ending December 31, 1923. The Annual Report lists such information as those passed away and baptized in 1923, and names and amounts contributed by Church members.
Mrs. Margaret Bigras, (Arnold McIntyre’s sister-in-law) a former Kenwood employee gave Arnold a photograph and newspaper clipping showing members of Kenwood’s Quarter Century Club who attended a dinner in 1949. A list of names accompanies this photograph including Eddie Murphy, Henry Wagenblass, Gordon Mosley, Karl Wolff, Napoleon Gibeault, Wilf Chabot, Earl Berndt, Jack Lea, Charles Mulcahy, Albert Grenier, Israel D’Aoust, Thomas Smith, Ernie Stavenow, Arthure Bigras, Joseph Legault, August Schwab, Alcide Bigras, Ed Bond, Bill Wolff, Rudolf Olivier, Florian Levesque, W. W. Trowsdale, Harry Jones, Harold Armsden, Jessie Mackey, A.V. Wright, Florence Watt, J.P. Mulvihill, Nettie Schultz, William Yade, Larry Carthy, H. A. Short, Ambrose Bond, James McDonough, Joseph Pouliot, Ode Clouthier. Map Cabinet #1, Drawer 13 (Compact Disc master of photo located G2.1)
Mrs. Bigras also owns a 1933 staff photograph of 151 Kenwood employees which Arnold McIntrye had scanned and numbered so that people could be identified. Many people assisted Mr. McIntyre with this volunteer project. At the time of the donation (October 2003) only 14 of the 151 people remain unidentified. Please see the list attached to the staff photograph for identified employees.
Map Cabinet #1, Drawer 13
Ontario & Quebec Auto Road Map circa 1925: Very detailed, double sided map which was produced by Imperial Oil. Map shows Southern Ontario on one side and Eastern Ontario plus Northeastern USA on the other. Map shows Highway 17 running through towns such as Arnprior and Beachburg.
1. Elgin Street, Arnprior looking West circa 1958. (shows Elgin and John intersection)
2. "The Springs" Pakenham Ontario
3. The Madawaska River; Burnstown Ontario which shows the bridge circa 1905;
4. John Street circa 1970 showing McCord's Drug Store (where Ben's TV store is located), Modern Men's Wear, Beamish store etc. and two postcards of Renfrew
5. "Looking Up the Bonnechere River - Renfrew Ontario"
6. "Part of the Water Power - Renfrew Ontario"
7. Colour postcard "Municipal Building, Arnprior, Ont." circa 1975 shows Arnprior Town Hall building with stair case and entrance on West side of building.
See also item level description of Souvenir Folder of Views of Arnprior Accession 2012-0278