Under the Baldwin Municipal Act of 1849, the United Counties of Lanark and Renfrew (known from 1841 to 1849 as the District of Bathurst) were first established and given self-government. In 1861, a separation was resolved upon and a Provisional Council was established for the erection of county buildings. On October 10, 1866, the County of Renfrew became an independent corporation. The County Council was then composed of 22 reeves, representing the 22 local municipalities. By 1896, the County Council had increased to 26 reeves and 7 deputy-reeves.
Donated by Victoria Carroll, of Ottawa, daughter of Rollie and Jean Beauchamp of Elgin Street in Arnprior.
Scope and Content
Collection consists of the 1897-1906 volume of the Minutes of the Proceedings with By-Laws and other Papers of the Council of the Corporation of the County of Renfrew. Contains an index at front. Inside cover of book reads "John Brennan Sand Point". Brennan was the County representative for Arnprior and the Township of McNab in the year 1906.