James W. Munro (b. January 31, 1862 - d. July 1, 1958) was the son of the late James William Munro and Jane Beggs. James married twice. His first wife was Mary Elizabeth Bole who died in 1900 and his second wife was Bella Jane Campbell who died in 1947. James owned and operated a butcher shop on the corner of Daniel Street and Rock Lane in Arnprior. He was also a sportsman, a historian on Arnprior and McNab Township, and manager of Munro’s Pets (a junior hockey team). He also served as a member of Town Council and of the Presbyterian Church. He had one son (James C. Munro) and seven daughters (Jean, Myra, Wim, Jessie, Edith, Lilian and Doris). Isaac Willix was his step-father.
Donated by Isobel Munro in April 1998.
Scope and Content
Donation consists of the following:
1. Book of Praise belonging to Doris Munro, 1929 (a book of psalms and hymns); hard cover, 8 cm x 13 cm and 2.5 cm thick
2. Ledger book listing items made by client, 1939-1940; hard cover, 21 cm x 33 cm and 1.8 cm thick
3. Ledger book listing goods given out and date of return of goods by client, “Hospital Supplies”, 1942-1945; hard cover, 21 cm x 33 cm and 1.5 cm thick
4. Ledger book of clients and amounts owed; soft cover, 10 cm and 16 cm and 0.7 cm thick
5. Isaac Willix file containing such records as policies, receipts, statements and correspondence dealing with such companies as Western Assurance Co., Royal Canadian Insurance Co., British America Assurance Co. and Willix and Baggs, 1869-1902, 3 cm of text
6. Book of list of names of who has paid and amounts owed. 1912, 5 cm x 11 cm and 1 cm thick
7. File of financial records of J.W. Munro dealing with such companies as Galetta Electric Power and Milling Co. Ltd., Mutual Life Assurance Co. of Canada, and Arnprior Hydro Electric Commission, 1924-1964, 9 cm of textual records
8. Account book organized by client’s name. hard cover, 1904-1913, 21 cm x 33.5 cm and 4 cm thick