John McGonigal ancestor’s were some of the earliest settlers in the Arnprior area. Several streets are named after his family members. A family history, compiled by John McGonigal shows that brothers Hugh, John and William McGonigal left county Donegal, Ireland to settle in Arnprior in 1812. John McGonigal is a decendant of Hugh McGonigal and Margaret McLachlin also of Donegal Ireland.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of three items relating to the history of Arnprior:
1. 1893 indenture between Peter McGonigal and the Ottawa Arnprior and Parry Sound Railway describes the sale of certain lands around Tierney, Patrick and Meghan streets, for nineteen hundred dollars to the railway company. The document is a duplicate of one filed in the Renfrew county registry office, produced by the deputy registrar [James] Spencley and witnessed by Arthur Burwash, barrister-at-law.
2. The 1962 audio cassette recording is called “A History of Arnprior”. It was produced around the time that Mr. McGonigal was actively involved with Arnprior’s centennial activities. Mr. McGonigal disputes local history that Kennel lodge was chief McNab’s home. He contends that this was a McGonigal residence. He sites an 1806 Quebec Gazette article which reports that land was granted to a William McGonigal before McNab made his claims to the land.
3. In 2004, John McGonigal donated a small leather journal which dates from 1866 to 1869 that may have belonged to his grandfather John Cunningham. John Cunningham ran a business selling liquor in Arnprior around Elgin and Harriet streets. The book contains many Arnprior business names and amounts paid in taxes which were then paid to the treasurer. Mr. Cunningham may have been the town’s assessor at this time.
Accruals are expected.
See Also: Arnprior District Museum display of McGonigle family items.