In 1974 the stones and bodies buried in the St.Celeste Cemetery near Highway 29 (located at Lot 27 Concession 2 Fitzroy Township) were moved to the Malloch Road Cemetery. This was done because the area of the cemetery would be covered by the head pond due to the installation of the Hydro dam over the Madawaska River. Until 2020, only a partial record existed of the names of individuals who are buried in this cemetery, which was obtained from the Town of Arnprior Municipal Office in 2001. A monument was erected in the Malloch Road Cemetery that alone represented the 784 people who were moved from St Celeste. It reads: “This stone was erected in 1974 in memory of those who were buried in the cemetery located off Highway 29 between 1876 - 1916 and moved to the Malloch Road Cemetery.”
In 2020, AMBA volunteer Doug Collins compiled a list of names taken from Parish records of the Drouin Collection on Ancestry. When an individual was said to have been buried in the St. Celeste Cemetery between the years of 1867 and 1916, he entered it into the index. The result is that many more names are now known, of those who were recorded as buried in St Celeste, but unaccounted for in the move.
The index lists in alphabetical order the individual’s surname followed by their Christian name and date of death or burial. It also notes ‘S’ where a cemetery stone exists for this person – separate from the Hydro monument.