The hotel at the corner of Madawaska and Hugh (later Bell street) was operated by Robinson Lyon from around 1860. Later the hotel became the Dagenais Hotel, the Central Hotel and the Madawaska Hotel. In 2002, the Madawaska Hotel sold the building to the Rock Church.
The permit was donated by Roland J. Cloutier who obtained it from his aunt, Mrs. Joe Cloutier.
Scope and Content
This fonds consists of a Liquor Permit for the Central Hotel dated July 6th, 1926. It was made out to Jean Baptiste Cloutier under the Temperance Act of Ontario. The permit states that the word “liquor” shall mean all drinks and drinkable liquids which are non-intoxicating, and which contain not less that one-half of one per cent by volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit of absolute alcohol.