“Trevor H. Grout, Barrister, Solicitor, Notary Public, Conveyancer and Solicitor for the Bank of Nova Scotia, Neilson Block, John Street Arnprior (Special attention given to collections, Money to lend).”
This advertisement appeared in the Arnprior Watchman in 1916. Trevor Grout was also the lawyer for the Bank of Montreal in 1916 and acted for the town as late as 1928. The Grouts owned a cottage property at Marshall’s Bay, just east of Arnprior. It appears that he was treasurer for the Arnprior Branch, Canadian Red Cross Society in 1918. He was a member of Emmanuel Church in 1919. In Leo Lavoie’s Arnprior Story, it is mentioned that Trevor H. Grout moved to Belleville after being appointed Judge.
The loose correspondence and letter books were donated to the archives by Mrs. Nina Sullivan of Arnprior in August 2000.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of correspondence, bills and miscellaneous documents from 1912 to 1922 which document his activities as a lawyer working on behalf of a varied clientele. The collection also consists of two letter books which range from May 1915 to November 1916 and from April 1918 to January 1920. Both of these bound letter books are indexed and contain a wide variety of correspondence about real estate transactions, collections, merchandise orders etc. Mrs. Grout also used the letter book as a record of her correspondence to various department stores.
Some items of particular interest in the Miscellaneous File include:
- Letter of Probate concerning the late James Miller of Arnprior, May 1918
- 4 pages hand written Report to Organization of Resources Committee 1914 to 1918 of the Canadian Red Cross dated Nov. 1918. One page of notes is made on Arnprior Branch Patriotic Fund letterhead noting John Brennan (President), G. F. MacNab (Secretary), T. S. Church (Treasurer) with committee members Dan McLachlin, Armon Burwash and E. D. Osborne.
- a Public Notice regarding Enemy Debts from Dept. of Finance, 1918
- County of Renfrew Good Road System report dated 1918
- Bank of Montreal Statement Oct 1918
- Church of England in Canada Diocese of Ottawa financial Statement 1916
- Mutual Life Assurance Co. Statement of Income & Disbursements etc. 1918
- Receipt for Mrs. T. H. Grout's membership in the Ottawa Horticultural Society April 28 1919
Receipt from Ottawa Horticultural Society to Mrs. Grout was added to the file when found in Land Records Collection Arnprior Copy Book #3, March 2016.