Mr. Findlay worked in the lumber trade as teamster, clerk, culler, foreman, scaler and contracter. He was originally from Shawville Quebec but worked for Gillies Bros and McLachlin Bros as a lumber culler and scaler. In 1914 he went into business with George Ferguson from Renfrew, driving pulpwood logs (spruce, balsam and hemlock) from the upper Madawaska River to Arnprior for about ten years. His son John S. Findley recalled in an interview that the last run of pulpwood was driven down the Madawaska river in 1924.
While working for the E. B. Eddy Co. as a “jobber” or lumber contractor Findlay resided in Braeside. He later lived on a farm behind the original fairgrounds and then purchased property on the White Lake Road near present day Winner’s Circle.
This material was donated by John H. Findley (spelled with an e) in October 2005.
Scope and Content
The fonds contains several business ledgers of the Ferguson & Findlay company and personal journals of John H. Findlay of Braeside. Ranging in date from 1853 to 1930, these records document provisioning activities to various lumber camps, buying and selling livestock as well as daily journal entries.
Ferguson and Findlay records consist of:
1. Cash book of Ernest Wm. Hodgins 1885 and 1877
2. Cash book No. 3 Ferguson & Findlay, 1920 to 1924 (Wrapped separately)