File has been split into two due to size. File 1 consists of items 1 - 4, File 2 consists of item 5.
1. Treasurer’s account book for School Section No. 15, McNab, for 1878, and minutes of annual meetings. The beginning of this book was written by German immigrants whose knowledge of English was limited. They spelled the minutes and other entries “phonetically”. Examples: Raitepaires = ratepayers, mitting = meeting; Poublik = public, said = site, raight plais = right place, sem = same; Scharmann = chairman, Troustiese = trustees, capt = kept, mouvet = moved, seconet = seconded, dat = that, Prouvenlain = proven line, Mouschen = motion, carrit = carried, Woters = voters, Debainghsher = debentures, Taitscher = teacher, etc. Some of the early names: Ferdinand Runz [Runtz], Schubring [Shubrink], John Bradley, Julius Scheel, C.F. Scheel, D. Berndt, Plieth, Wendt, etc. The book ends in 1911. Some transcripts were made by Peter Hessel in 1987/88.
2. Warranty certificate issued by Shinn Manufacturing Co. of Canada in Guelph, Ontario, to School Section 15, Lot 11, Concession 10, McNab covering a “flat-bonded guarantee” for “the protection of his buildings as follows: School 30 x 26 and 12 x 8, amount paid $55.35. This was for a lightning protector.
3. Day sheet completed by Peter Hessel’s student research assistant Kirstin Jeffrey in 1987, with a transcript from a school inspection sheet found at Waba Cottage. It described the condition of the building and its contents and makes recommendations for improvements/repairs. The form has a date of January 1896, but the date of the report is not shown.
4. Typed notes re: deed dated April 22, 1881 for German Settlement School signed by C.F. Scheel, Julius Scheel and John Pluth. Original deed may be found in McNab Township, Renfrew County Land Records in Arnprior McNab/Braeside Archives.
5. Eleven daily attendance record books for this school, dated 1903, 1912-1920 and 1926. In January 1903 there were 30 students, including 15 with identifiably German surnames; the teacher was Miss Lizzie Forrest. In January 1912 there were 23 students, including 12 with identifiably German surnames; the teacher was J.E. Munro; in January 1916 there were 32 students including 15 with identifiably German surnames; the name of the teacher was Edna U. Stephens. In December 1926, there were 22 students, including 11 with identifiably German surnames; the teacher was Florence Mears (of Richmond, Ont.). Other student surnames: Campbell, Shaw, McVean, Cora.
Photographs located in Map Cabinet, Drawer 6.
See also file “Waba Cottage” regarding the removal of this school house to Waba Cottage Museum Park.