1. Handwritten research notes by Peter Hessel, 1987/88, taken at the Presbyterian Archives in Toronto. Key terms: St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Arnprior (1859: Rev. Mann). “United Presbyterian” worshipped first in the shop of James McDiarmid on Daniel Street, then on Madawaska Street. First minister was Rev. Thomas Watson. In 1859, that group erected a church at Ottawa and Albert Street, , but could not find a minister. The rival “Church of Scotland” group first met in the old town hall. Daniel McLachlin brought a minister, William Johnson, from L’Orignal (1860-61). In 1862, Rev. Peter Lindsay of Paisley, Scotland. In 1993. the 2 groups combined. Re divisions of Presbyterian Church see Appendix (463-468) in Donald N. MacMillan, “The Kirk in Glengarry” (Finch, 1984). Rev. Alexander Mann died in 1884 (age 83). Missionary to Canada — Fitzroy, Torbolton, Pakenham, McNab, Horton. Interesting reference to Alexander Fraser (editor, usually mistaken as author of “Last Laird of McNab”) in Gardiner Scrapbooks, vol. 103, p. 117. Rev. George Bremner (minister at White Lake, 1875-86). Stewartville Presbyterian Church (statistics). Land donated by Allan Stewart (and wife Mary). Building sold by the United Church to the Presbyterian Church in 1927, for $950. It was destroyed by lightening and fire; ruins demolished in 1984. Records at the Presbyterian Archives, Toronto. Grace-St.Andrew United Church, Arnprior (formerly St. Andrew’s Presbyterian) — corner stone laid on August 27, 1890 by Mrs. Daniel McLachlin & her son, Hugh F. McLachlin. Excerpts from Rev. William Bell’s diary (first two pages missing). See McNab — The Township.
2. Photocopy of pages, McNab — The Township, re Rev. William Bell.