The following is an extract from the reprint of this issue in 1992:
“The reprinting of the following newspaper article is the ‘brain child’ of Mrs. Muriel Saunders of the Arnprior Museum Board. It is a cooperative effort of the Arnprior Museum Board, the Arnprior & District Historical Society and the Arnprior and District Archives - to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Town of Arnprior.
A printout of the microfilmed article was obtained by Muriel Saunders from the National Library of Canada (No. 797566). The printout, which is very difficult to read, was transcribed by Peter Hessel with a Macintosh Classic II computer (using Microsoft Word 4.0 software program) and then laser-printed.
The text of this edition of the article is protected by copyright (1992) and this reprint cannot be reproduced or transmitted in any form without permission in writing by the Arnprior and District Museum.”
Not all articles from the original edition were reproduced in the reprint. Pages 3 and 4 were not available when the reprint was prepared. The photographs were not reproducible. The photos and other illustrations used in the reprint edition came from other sources. The entire text of the reprint is available from the computer file “Old Saturday Globe” in Peter Hessel’s Archives Folder. The text of the original edition has not yet been transcribed.
Scope and Content
File consists of a number of clippings and photocopies of clippings, etc. concerning the Saturday Globe’s special edition on Arnprior, dated October 1, 1892.
The fragments and photocopies from page 1 and 2 of the original edition contain the following photos: interior of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (later United Church); Methodist Church and parsonage built by Stafford R. Rudd; ”Mrs. McLachlin’s Residence”; Residence of M. Galvin; Galvin Block; Menzie’s Drug Store, Montreal Grocery; P.T. Dagenais; Residence of Stafford R. Rudd; Stafford’s Factory, Office and Furniture Store; Rescue Hook and Ladder Company; Views at Diamond Park Springs; McLachlin’s steam mills; McLachlin’s Water Mills and Office; McLachlin Bros.’ Lumberyards, probably the largest in the world [handwritten: mill dam; sorting sheds; railway sidings at yard gate; bird’s eye view of water mills and pond); Town Hall; (row of stores on John Street); E.C. Armand, The Bazaar, John V. Budd, John T. Wait, The Chronicle; “Edgewood”, residence of Claude McLachlin; High School, “The Hill”, residence of H.F. McLachlin; R.G. Moles (Reeve).
The fragments and photocopies from pages 3 and 4 of the original edition contain the following photos: J. Tierney & Sons store (NW corner of Madawaska and John Streets); John Tierney (Town Treasurer); (St. John Chrysostom) Roman Catholic Church; J.G. Watson, Marble Cutters; Dontigny & Hughton’s Woolen Mill; William Allan’s dry goods and clothing store; E.K. Johnston; R. S. Drysdale’s Warehouse (agent for Massey-Harris Co. for this district, started in 1885; sold 34 binders in [this] season besides a large number of McLaughlin Gear Buggies, Bain Waggons, R.C. Percival’s Ploughs, Goulds Ploughs, etc., member of the Sons of Scotland and the Chosen Friends; Hugh Devine’s Hotel; Ferguson & Freer’s store (cheap cash store); Common Sense Gear Factory; The Arcade; Queen’s Grocery (and China Depot - W. H. Howe - on Elgin Street?). Mentioned on page 4, but no separate pictures: The Montreal Grocery in the Galvin Block, (D.J. Campbell); P.T. Dagenais clothing store in the Galvin Block; F.W. Kelsey, photographer (leasing from R.G. Moles); Alex Menzie, druggist and chemist in the Galvin Block, manager of the Electric Light Company, also general news agent and local manager for the Bell Telephone Co.