This Bombardier Snowmobile (Model B-12CS) was originally (from 1950) owned by Duncan E. Stewart of Waba, who in the 1970s lent it to Bud Lindsay, but never asked for it back. In the late 1980s, Peter Hessel (with Duncan Stewart’s permission) persuaded Bud Lindsay to donate the snowmobile to Waba Cottage Museum as a restoration project. The machine is still there, but nothing has been done to it as of summer 2004.
Scope and Content
File consists of:
1. Envelope with 7 black and white photos, 1 colour photo (1950) of the snowmobile, with Elizabeth Stewart (5).
2. Original correspondence, invoice, bill of lading, specifications and other documentation about this snowmobile (in chronological order, from Oct. 21, 1948 to Dec. 1, 1950).
3. Letter from the Armand Bombardier Museum in Valcourt, Que., dated Jan. 15, 1987, to Peter Hessel regarding possible restoration.
4. Original Bombardier brochure, technical information, parts price list (October 1948).
5. Bombardier brochure published in 1992, “50 Years Later ...” (historical prospectus).
See also: 2 photos in the file “Waba Mills” of snowmobile hauling logs in the bush (1950s).