1. Copy of real estate listing for the “Donald Stewart House” in Waba, a stone dwelling in the village of Waba listed for $189,900 in 1997. Stapled to this is information about Donald Stewart from “McNab — The Township” and a copy of a photo of the house from the Renfrew Advance of Jan. 26, 1967.
2. Colour photo by Peter Hessel of the “Donald Stewart House” in Waba, taken in 1998.
3. Original handwritten letter by The Hon. Robert Campbell, M.P. for Renfrew South, to John Stewart of Waba, dated May 12, 1883. This is a letter of condolence after the death of Donald Stewart of Waba. The original is in an envelope attached to a typed transcript by Peter Hessel with notes (1987).
4. Photocopy of clipping from Chronicle (1933, date?) “Looking Backwards; 50 years ago”: Donald Stewart of Waba (age 50, familiarly known as “of the brook”, died on April 29th  in Waba. Funeral conducted by Rev. G. Bremner, “one of the largest ever seen in McNab. “Settled at Waba Mills 28 years earlier with his brothers John and Robert, coming from the township of Beckwith. Was unmarried. In 1871, he was an unsuccessful candidate for a seat in the legislature.
5. Photocopy of handwritten notes for a talk by Duncan E. Stewart of Waba to the Historical Society (late 1980s) about the stone house in Waba built by Donald Stewart. Background: Alexander Stewart came from Scotland in 1818 (24 years old) and settled in Black’s Corners, Beckwith Township. Married Margaret Douglas. 9 surviving children (4 boys). In 1848 (30 years after coming to Canada), Alexander bought Lot 2, Concession 4 (McNab Township) from the Crown (200 acres for £40). At some stage, 3 of the four boys moved to Waba while Alexander Jr. stayed at Black’s Corners. Donald eventually built the stone house, John built the house which became Duncan E. Stewart’s later, and Robert eventually owned the stone house after Donald’s death. Donald was the chief executive officer of the Stewart Brothers firm. Donald’s first house in Waba was “nearly destroyed” by fire in June of 1878 (Duncan E. quotes correspondence with insurance company; Donald had to take legal steps to collect insurance. The outcome of the dispute is unknown.) Also quotes 1879 correspondence with a Mr. Wilson (architect? contractor?) about construction of the new (stone) house. Stone mason: George Robertson of Carleton Place. Donald hired carpenters by the day: J.G. Latimer of Arnprior @ $1.20 a day & board. Plasterer: John Wallace Jr. in Renfrew. Completed in 1880. The stone for the house was McNab Limestone quarried locally. The decorative stone (sandstone) came from Beckwith supplied by F. McEwen in Carleton Place (who also supplied stone for the White Lake Presbyterian Church).
Donald Stewart made his will on his death bed; it was witnessed by Arthur Burwash, student at law, and Dr. Jas. G. Cranston, physician.
6. 2 photos of Donald Stewart (taken from Plate 10 in McNab — The Township). Reeve 1862 and 1869075. Warden of Renfrew County 1875.
7. Photocopies of 3 photographs of Donald Stewart’s stone house in Waba with typed comments made by Peter Hessel based on notes by Duncan E. Stewart. Photocopies came from Beth Gaetz nee Headrick in Edmonton in 1993, who received the photos from Bernie and Louva Campbell.
8. Another version (2 pages, typed by Peter Hessel) of Duncan E. Stewart’s notes (item 7).
See also files “Waba Mills” and “Reeves of McNab Township” in Peter Hessel Fonds.