1. Two-page handwritten note by unknown regarding the McNab Township hall and other Stewartville information. “One of the oldest landmarks of Stewartville and McNab Township”. The vacant building collapsed on March 2, 1971 under a heavy load of snow. Built in 1859. Reference to earliest council meetings (before the hall was built). Reference also to Stewartville Presbyterian Church, organized by Rev. George Bremner in the township hall in 1871, where services were held until the church was built in 1874. Services were also held in the township hall between 1925 and 1928 (no reason given). The hall was also used to hold exhibits for the McNab Fair from 1859 to 1897. In a building across the road called the “show shed”, produce were shown. When the Earl and Lady Minto paid an official visit to the township, the hall was “the most important place” (Minto was Governor General of Canada).
2. Photocopy of 2 pages of newspaper articles (probably patched together from various papers including the Ottawa Journal? 1940s?). Headline: “Papers Found at New Power Site Tell McNab Township History”. These articles relate to the fact that when the township hall was abandoned, “a wealth of documents” (including original handwritten letters) was found by newspaper reporters who appropriated many of them, wrote items about them and never returned the papers. One of these was Harry Walker of the Journal. Among the names mentioned: Peter Campbell (Clerk), R.N. Hart, T.M. Radenhurst, Allan McNab (son of Chief), Allan Stewart, John Forrest, Izett Duff, David Mackie, James Storie, John Paris, A.H. Dowsdell, Andrew Hamilton, James Morris, etc. Official wax seal.
“The papers lay there ankle-deep about the floor and all who browsed among the lime, laths and strangely assorted papers thrown promiscuously about, wondered that there was no Women’s Institute or historical society in all Renfrew County to correlate these strangely assorted records connecting the present and the far-off days of McNab township. There is one document actually written before Chief McNab left the township forever, written in 1843, the year ‘The McNab’ was haled before court in Perth and adjudged guilty of bein a public nuisance”.
3. Clipping of newspaper article (Chronicle? Oct. 26, year?), “Journal Story Stirs Interest in Stewartville Town Hall”. Reference to the above articles.
4. Photocopy of newspaper article dated Oct. 29 (1940s?, paper?), “Drew on Clergy Reserve Fund For McNab Twp. Town Hall”. As above.
5. Photocopy of page 108, McNab — The Township, re Township Hall (with photo of 1936). See also Index in the book for several other references to the township hall in the book.