Photograph is torn down the middle resulting in the loss of several figures from the group and is stained with blue ink.
The newspaper is in poor condition.
History / Biography
Farmer Bros. was founded in 1868 by William and John Farmer who were Welsh immigrants to Canada. Originally, Farmer Bros. manufactured and repaired shoes, boots and log-driver's boots worn by lumbermen during the river drive, but they also carried Slater Shoes for men, Empress Shoes for women and Winn's Shoes for children. They also carried mocassins, rubber boots, felt boots, thread, slippers, overshoes, polish, mitts, socks and "uppers". While the store was a cash only business for many years, the store traded goods during the Depression. In 1916, Edwin Farmer purchased control of the family firm. His sons Evan and Arthur joined the firm in 1917and 1922 respectively. Evan's sons Douglas and Donald joined their father in the late 1940's and 1957 respectively and took over the operation in the in the 1980's. Doug's son Ross, the fourth generation Farmer, retired from the retail business and closed the store in 2005 after over 135 years of operation. The Farmer Bros. store building was sold in 2006.
The earliest advertisement in the Archives papers for Farmer’s on “John Street, Jas. Wilson’s old stand” appears in the May 29th, 1869 Neilson’s Weekly. William Farmer’s advertisement also appears in the July 3, 1874 and the August 3, 1877 Arnprior Review as a “manufacturer and dealer in all kinds of Boots & Shoes, Rubbers etc”. He also advertised 'The Central Boot and Shoe Store' in the December 1888 Chronicle where he catered to farmers and lumbermen. Electric light was put in the store November 1892 at a cost of $36.90. Between 1884 and 1901 Farmer Bros. did $259202.55 in cash sales. Average yearly sales for this 18 year period was $14400.14.
Members of the Farmer Bros. boot making staff in 1924 included Walter Duhn, Edward Nieman, Tom Robinson and Duncan Dagenais.
Ross Farmer donated the records of Farmer Bros. store in July 2005 on behalf of the Farmer family.
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of various business records of Farmer Bros. as well as one B&W photograph and a promotional publication in which Farmer Bros. is featured.
- 24 cm x 19 cm, mounted B&W photograph by Arnprior Art Studios photographer R. A. Ramsay of unidentified participants of the Arnprior Old Boys Reunion August 1909 who are sitting on the steps of the Town Hall.
- Pembroke, Renfrew, Arnprior, Eganville and Cobden Industrial Edition circa 1908 - A promotional newspaper featuring photos and article of businesses and owners in the towns mentioned in title. Arnprior items of interest include: The Arnprior Town Hall, Queen's Grocery and China Depot, W. M. Howe, Reeve, Stafford R. Rudd & Co., Farmer Bros. The Cash Shoe House, MacNab & Campbell Insurance, T. S. Church, John S. Moir, Goodwyn & Whtye, E. C. Armand, E. D. Osborne, Arnprior Art Studio, Wm. Daze, S. E. Johnston, Phm. B, The Red Cross Drug Store, Miss E. MacDougall, J. J. Grace & Son, H. J. Mathewson, Ramshaw's Drug Store, R. S. Drysdale, John Sullivan, The McPhee House, J. H. McKerracher, R. J. Charbonneau, J. P. Galvin, Alex. Reid, R. S. Watson, H, Sanders, John F. O'Neill, Geo. R. Knight, A. T. Budd, L. A. Whyte, Geo. H. Larivee, J. L. Whyte, T. McCormick, Arnprior Carriage Works, Havey's Livery, Sanitaris Limited, The Campbell House, James Clements
- Approximately 700 cancelled cheques 1905 - 1914
- Account statements with various shoe manufactures and suppliers mainly from Montreal Quebec 1887 -1889. A few statements from Arnprior businesses are included.
- 15 Ledgers:
1882 - 1883 Day Book. Also contains cash sales figures 1882 -1883, Farmer's Stock 1883 and Hartney's stock summary
1882 - 1885 Account Book with alphabetical index in back
1883 - 1884 Day Book. Also contains Stock Account as of Feb 1884
1886 - 1887 Day Book
1887 - 1888 Day Book
1895 (March - Aug) Day Book
1900 (Jan - May) Day Book
1900 (Sept - Dec) Day Book
1902 - 1911 General Ledger and Wholesale Accounts with Cash Sales summary for years 1884 - 1901 and average sales figures for 1909 - 1915 at back.
1905 Stock Book - pages are nailed shut
1905 Day Book (May - Nov)
1907 Day Book (March - July)
1910 Day Book (April - Oct)
1966 - 1969 General Ledger
See Also: Peter Hessel collection, "Farmer Brothers/Cash Shoe Store" file