Mr. Sam Pritchard purchased the blacksmith shop located at the SW corner of Madawaska and Harriet Street in 1920 from a Mr. O'Neill. He had two employees; George Illingsworth and Mr. Madore. Throughout the depression payment was often made "in kind" with fresh vegetables, chicken, eggs, maple syrup, plums and crabapples. Mr. Pritchard was a councillor in Arnprior for 16 years, served as a volunteer firefighter and was an active member of Grace St. Andrew's United Church. Mr. Pritchard was also a dealer for Massey Harris and later International Harvester. Sam Pritchard was a keen hockey fan and at one time owned the Madawaska River Rats Hockey team which Mr. Henry Heise coached. The Blacksmith shop was demolished to make room for the new Post Office Building in 1967.
Donated by Ruth Pritchard, daughter of blacksmith in 2006.
Scope and Content
Oil painting by John Strandberg of Sam Pritchard's Blacksmith shop made from a photograph. He also painted the inside of the shop but this painting was not purchased from the artist.
Fonds also includes a handwritten letter by donor providing historical details about the family who owned a cottage at Rhoddy's Bay, her father's business and growing up in Arnpior.