Janet Carmichael was the daughter of Reeve Milton Stewart and the sister of R.A. Stewart, former Deputy Reeve of McNab. She survived 3 husbands: Carmichael, Jamieson and Stevenson. Janet Gilmour (Stewart) Carmichael served as curator of the Arnprior District Museum and as receptionist at the Waba Cottage Museum in White Lake. She was a descendant of one of the first settlers in this area (Archibald Stewart) and a keen collector of historical anecdotes. Janet died on May 26, 2001 in Arnprior.
1. Newspaper clipping , Ottawa Citizen, date unknown (1980s), article re Waba Cottage with a colour photo of Janet at Waba Cottage.
2. Typewritten notes by Janet re Perpetual Silver Trophy, O’Brien Cup; Arnprior Golf Club; Almonte Flour Mills Trophy (Mississippi Golf Club), etc.
3. Handwritten notes by Janet Carmichael on printed pages about Golf. Key terms: Sand Point Golf Club; James Ballentyne; Andrew Ballentyne. Appended: more typewritten notes about the Arnprior Golf Club by Janet.
4. Handwritten notes “Assessment Roll of 1829” District of Bathurst. Notes include Archibald Stewart Lot 22 Concession 12 - population 6 ( Archie and Agnes, Danny, David, Maryann, John with birth dates and places).
Duncan Campbell Lot 23 Concession 12 - population 8 (names not given)
Duncan Anderson Lot 25 Concession 11- population 6
Alex Goodwin Lot 1 Concession C (14) - population 7
Alex Goodwin Jr. Lot 1 Concession C (14) - population 1
Charles Goodwin Lot 1 Concession D (15) - population 1
total population: 260
Also listed List of Settlers 1827 and acres of land.
5. Typewritten account (5 pages) by Janet, “Glen Roy” Farm. History of the “century farm” now (1997) owned by Steve McGregor. Pages in individual plastic sleeves. 1989 Arnprior Chronicle-Guide article about Glen Roy farm attached.
6. Typed notes about the James Storie family (Goshen). Other key word: Goshen cemetery.
7. Typed notes about the Peter McMillan family. Other key terms: Eastwood, McMillian [this is how Janet spelled the name!].
8. Typed notes by Janet, stamped by PG Apr. 14, 1988, about McMillan genealogy
9. Typed notes about Peter McIntosh family of Glasgow.
10. Typescript stamped May 27, 1987 by PH, entitled “The Evolution of the Dewar Name in Scotland”, with photocopied map of area in Scotland. Other key terms: Ferguson, St. Fillan’s; Glendochart.
11. Typed notes by Janet “Boer War”. Other key terms: Alexander W. Stewart b. April 5 1877, Amos Burton.
12. Typed notes by Janet, “Archibald Stewart and first wife Flora Patton, also second wife Agnes Anderson Stewart, stamped by PH: may 7, 1987. Other key terms: Gaelic language.
13. Poem typewritten by Janet, “The Major Duncan Campbell and his wife Janet Campbell”. Photocopy of photo showing Eric "Bartle" Stewart (b. 1906 d 1983) and typed song lyrics to 'A Major Pioneer or The Campbells Came'.
14. Typed notes by Janet, stamped by PG Apr. 14, 1988, entitled “The First Air Plane (Aeroplane) in McNab. Other key word: flying.
15. Typed notes by Janet, stamped by PG Apr. 14, 1988, entitled “McIntyre Story”.
16. Typed notes by Janet, entitled “Buchan and Stirling History”.
17. Handwritten notes by Janet, 1987-88, entitled “Remembrances of McNab Township”, with attached note addressed to Peter Hessel.
18. Handwritten notes by Janet, entitled “Joseph Bouchette (1774-1841). Bouchette described Chats Rapids and the lake ...
19. Typed notes by Janet, entitled “Just before the turn of the century story”. Key word: turkeys.
20. Typed notes by Janet, stamped by PG April 14, 1988, entitled “Roddy’s Bay Story”, other key terms: Rhoddy’s Bay, Sand Point, John Rafter.
21. Typed notes by Janet, stamped by PH June 24, 1987, entitled “The McDonnell Story”. Other key word: Sand Point.
22. Handwritten notes by Janet, entitled “John R. McDonald, 1860-1940, Sand Point.
23. Newspaper clipping of photo by Trish Dyer of Janet Carmichael at Waba Cottage Museum. Mistake: the pipe was not her great-grandfather’s, but belonged to Archibald Laird of McNab (no relation to Janet).
24. Copy of a letter by Peter Hessel to Janet, dated June 7, 1990. Keywords: dugout canoes, Algonkin Indians.
25. Clipping of letter to the editor (Citizen?) by Janet re a Royal Visit to Cobalt, Ont.
26. Colour photo of Janet Carmichael and Peter Hessel, “Souvenir of Nov. 26, 1986 [should read: 1988] of Peter Hessel’s book launching of McNab — The Township from one of your co-workers Janet Carmichael”.
27. Typewritten story of the Life of Agnes Anderson who married Archibald Stewart written by Janet Carmichael and sent to the Archives by descendant Valerie Kohlsmith May 2013.