2 m of textual records; 389 b&w ; 17 col. photos; 25 negatives; 9 maps
About 2% of the records show damage caused by fire and water.
History / Biography
The first Gillies to sail to Canada from Stirlingshire, Scotland, on the “David” of London were James Gillies, his daughter Janet (21 years old), and his two sons John (1811-1888), and George (9 years old) in 1821. The Gillies first settled on Lot 10, Concession 5, in Lanark Township, about 3 miles from Middleville. In 1831, John (the eldest son) settled on a grant of land at Lot 9, Concession 3, and also purchased an additional 100 acres, making a total of 300 acres. In 1839, John married Mary Cullen Bain; they had 6 sons and 3 daughters. In 1842, John built his first sawmill on the Clyde River, 3 miles north of the village of Lanark, Ontario. In the early 1870’s, John sold the Gillies Mills at Carleton Place to John Herron and bought the sawmill at Braeside from the Hon. Asa Foster (who had previously purchased it from Rev. Henry Usborne) and 250 square miles of timber limits on the Coulonge and Picanoc Rivers. Over the years, the Gillies acquired extensive timber limits in the counties of Lanark, Frontenac, Renfrew and Pontiac, building one of the largest timber dynasties in the business and employing hundreds of men in the bush and the mill.
The collection was originally stored at the house called “The Grove” in Arnprior, the home of David Ackland Gillies (James Gillies’ brother) and later in the donor’s garage. Donated by Jayne Gillies (nee Nimmons), widow of George Brodie Gillies (the nephew of David Ackland Gillies and director of Gillies Bros., Ltd. from about 1950 to 1965) in July 1995. The donor initially offered the collection to the National Archives of Canada. Upon reviewing the contents of the collection, the National Archives suggested that the Arnprior and District Archives be approached. Jayne Gillies approached Peter Hessel, who started the process of having the collection assessed and accepted for donation. The Arnprior and District Archives acquired the first records in July 1995
Scope and Content
Fonds consists of correspondence, financial and legal documents, some printed material and other records relating to the business activities of the Gillies family and the administration of the estate of James Gillies. The fonds is divided into three sub-groups: I. James Gillies, II. James Gillies Estate, and III. Business Operations. Within these sub-groups, the records are further divided into series. The records provide good information on the lumbering business, investments, estate management, and insurance. The majority of the photographs are of the logging sites and of the Gillies Bros., Ltd. mill and its operations. There are nine maps described separately (Cabinet #1 Drawer #4)
This collection has met the required criteria for “outstanding significance and national importance” as determined by the Canadian Cultural Property Export Review Board.
Gillies Family fonds.
I. James Gillies -- [before 1909]. -- 19 cm of textual records and 16 items.
James Gillies (1840-1909) was the eldest son of John (1811-1888) and Mary Cullen Bain Gillies (1818-1900) and the grandson of James Gillies and Helen Stark. In 1867, James came to Carleton Place as manager for John Gillies (his father) and Peter McLaren (later Senator McLaren) where he oversaw the operations of the sawmill. James also maintained his partnership with his brothers (William, David, and John Jr.) who had moved to Braeside. James married Eleanor Ackland. For several years, James was on the Board of Education and was also elder for St. Andrew’s Church. He was also a director of the Bank of Ottawa, a director of the Upper Ottawa Improvement Company, president of the John Gillies Estate Company, and president of the Gillies Bros., Limited.
James Gillies Sous-fonds
Correspondence. -- 1887-1921. -- 3 items.
Series consists of three copybooks containing copies of correspondence sent regarding investments, bank matters, shares and other business transactions as well as personal business. The first two copy books were written by James Gillies while in Carleton Place while the third, dating from 1906 - 1921 was written from Gillies Depot and Braeside, Ontario.
Title based on contents of series.
Some of the correspondence is illegible due to water damage.
Math book. -- 1853. -- 1 item.
Item is a school notebook in which James Gillies used to write out his math exercises.
Title based on contents of item.
Financial and legal documents. -- [before 1909]. -- 19 cm of textual records and 13 items.
Series consists of financial books (account books, bank books, cash books), cancelled cheques, receipts, insurance policies, and balance sheets. Records deal with such topics as the Gillies Bros. Ltd., life insurance, the shingle mill, the Life Association of Scotland Annual Report (1867), the Bank of Ottawa, the Merchants’ Bank of Canada, the Quinquonnial Declaration of Profits and the Achland & Co., Winnipeg.
Several bound books and loose papers damaged by water and fire.
II. James Gillies Estate Papers. -- [before 1952]. --123.6 cm of textual records.
The executors of his estate were the four sons: John Stark Gillies (from Braeside, died in 1938); Alfred James Gillies (from West Toronto; owned A.J. Gillies Manufacturing Co., West Toronto); George (Geo) Ackland Gillies (from Town of Carleton Place; later moved to Vancouver; he lived at 6690 Marine Crescent in Vancouver; he was a mining engineer out there); David Armitage Gillies (from Carleton Place, later owner of The Grove). James also left behind his wife (Eleanor Ackland; born 1841, died 1915; daughter of Hugh and Mary Bulger Ackland) and 3 daughters: Florence Gillies Campbell (or Mrs. K.C. Campbell; later moved to Winnipeg); Mary Eleanor Muirhead; Ida Gillies Robertson (married Neil Robertson in 1913). The widow and the three daughters were among the beneficiaries of the estate. According to a 1909 newspaper clipping, the estate was valued at $500,000 and $23,805 was paid in taxes on this amount. The sons kept extensive paperwork, from receipts for telegraph/gram and postal services to annual reports of the companies in which funds from the estate were being invested. The records show that the sons operated the estate as a business, providing regular income to its beneficiaries until the 1950’s. Some of the services the sons performed included the safekeeping of investments, attending to the transfers of investments when necessary, keeping the accounts of the trust, and buying/selling investments. Some of the areas of investment included real estate, lumber, manufacturing, telephone company and took the form of mortgages, debentures, securities, bonds, public stocks and shares.
James Gillies Estate Papers.
Bank of Ottawa. -- 1909. -- 1 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding financial transactions related to the account at the Bank of Ottawa, located at Carleton Place, on behalf of J.S. Gillies, Esq. (for the Estate of the Late James Gillies), shares and notices of payment of dividends. Also included is a Bank of Ottawa Annual Report, 1909.
Laces & Braid Manufacturing. -- 1909. -- 0.3 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence and a balance sheet for this company, located at West Toronto.
Life Insurance. -- 1909. -- 1 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence with the Sun Life Assurance Co. of Canada, Life Association of Scotland, New York Life Insurance Co. and other insurance companies as well as with the Gillies Bros. Ltd. at Braeside.
Canadian Bank of Commerce. -- 1908-1909. -- 0.5 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding shares, notices of payment of dividends, a general statement issued by this Toronto bank, and an Annual Report, 1908.
Merchants’ Bank of Canada. -- 1908-1909. -- 1 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding shares and stocks, a copy of the “Declaration of Transmission of Stock”, notices of payment of dividends sent by this Montreal bank, and an Annual Report, 1908.
Note: There is an article in The Arnprior Watchman of Jan. 17, 1919, page re the opening of the Arnprior branch of the Merchants’ Bank of Canada, giving location and details of staff.
Reliance Loan & Savings Co. of Ontario. -- 1898; 1904; 1906; 1909. -- 1 cm of textual records.
Series consists of annual reports (1898, 1904 and 1906) and the by-laws of this Toronto company. Also included is correspondence regarding stocks and sharers, and a copy of a “Power of Attorney to Transfer Stock”.
Toronto General Trusts Corporation. --1908-1909. -- 1 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding shares, notice of payment of dividends, a 1908 Annual Report, a Manual and the by-laws of this corporation
Excelsior Life Insurance Co. -- 1898; 1905; 1909. -- 0.3 cm of textual records.
Series consists of Annual Reports (1898, 1905), a financial statement (1898) for this Toronto company, notices of payment of dividends, and correspondence regarding shares.
Credit Clearing House. -- 1905-1909. -- 1 cm of textual records.
Series consists of and other records regarding shares, agreement of consolidation and merger, and by-laws. Also included is a copy of a “Certificate of Incorporation” for this Chicago company and a 1907 Annual Statement.
Canada Cycle & Motor Co. Ltd. -- 1903-1905; 1909. -- 1 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence, notices of annual meeting and other records about this Toronto company.
La Reina Co. Ltd. -- 1909. -- 0.3 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence, notice to shareholders and a balance sheet for this Cuban company.
Gillies Bros. Ltd. -- 1908-1909. -- 0.3 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding shares and invoices for this company at Braeside.
Interurban Electric Co. Ltd. and Stark T.L.P & System. -- 1905-1906; 1908-1909. --2 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding investments, other information about these Toronto companies, a 1906 Prospectus and booklet on Stark Telephone, Light, Power & System company.
Union Bank of Canada. -- 1907-1909. -- 0.3 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding the account at Carleton Place and cancelled cheques.
Upper Ottawa Improvement Co. Ltd. -- 1909. -- 0.2 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding succession duty and shares held by the late Gillies.
Investment Offerings. -- 1909. -- 2.5 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence with numerous investment agents regarding the best investment opportunities. Some of the companies include Dominion Securities Corporation, AEmilius Jarvis & Co., Brent, Noxon & Co., Investment Trust Co. Ltd., Atlantic & Gulf Portland Cement Co., British Columbia Permanent Loan Co. and National Finance Co.
Mrs. Ida (Gillies) Robertson. -- 1909. -- 0.3 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding requests for money from the estate and distribution thereof.
Alfred James Gillies. -- 1909. -- 0.5 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding the best ways to invest money from the estate and issues to resolve upon settling of the estate.
George Gillies. -- 1909. -- 0.3 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding the settling of the estate and the taxes to be paid on the net value of the estate.
NOTE: Article in Chronicle, May 2, 1919, page 3 (N584, reel 2): Mr. Geo. W. Gillies has purchased the “handsome residence on the corner of John and Victoria Streets, from the estate of the late Walter C. Mackey.
Mary Eleanor Muirhead. -- 1909. -- 0.2 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence about money received.
Florence Campbell. -- 1909. -- 0.3 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding the settling of the estate.
Insurance and Burial Monument. -- 1909. -- 0.5 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence, diagram of monument, booklet on monuments, insurance policies and other records about the handling of the estate.
Accounts Paid. -- 1909. -- 1 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence, receipts and invoices regarding the estate and the funeral.
Succession Duty. -- 1909. -- 0.5 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding the settling of the estate and the necessary papers required to do so. Copy of the “Statement of Succession Duty” and a copy of the ”Certificate of Discharge” (states succession duty on estate has been fully paid) are among some of the other records included.
Valuation of Stocks. -- 1908-1909. -- 0.5 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence regarding investments, transfers of these to executors as well as a copy of an ”Inventory of J. Gillies Estate Accounts & Mortgages with Interest Computed to January 22, 1909”.
Mrs. Eleanor Gillies, Papers of the Estate. -- Oct. 1915 to May 1916. -- 1 cm of textual records.
Series consists of a copy of the last will and testament as well as receipts and correspondence.
J.A.S. Gillies Estate. -- 1907--1921; 1934-1952. --109 cm of textual records.
Series consists of correspondence, financial and legal documents, and printed material. The correspondence covers areas such as the following: investments (shares, bonds, securities, mortgages, trust funds), how best to invest, how current investments are faring, solicitors’ services and expenses, requests for money by family members and receipts to acknowledge amounts received, thank you letters for bequests received, insurance, property tax notices, value of estate and its distribution thereof at regular intervals, James Ackland’s funeral, household expenses, Chas E. Campbell and others in Saskatchewan and Haddington Farms Limited, the death of Aunt Nellie Gillies in 1919, inquiries about the Estate of James Delamere Lafferty (1942).
The financial documents include such documents as the following: cancelled cheques, interest statements, annual balance sheets showing distribution of assets, monthly statements, property tax invoice, transactions, receipts, statements of account for E. Gillies, E. Muirhead, F.E. Campbell, Ida Gillies, Geo Gillies, D.A. Gillies, list of bonds held by estate, Town of Leduc Debentures, Town of Saanich Debentures, account transfers (old account: “Estate James Gillies” and new account: “James Gillies Trust Account”), accounts (Estate of late William Gillies; Estate of late James Gillies; Estate of late James Gillies Trust Account), income tax returns (T3s), meetings of and notices to shareholders, notices of payment of dividends, and cash and journal vouchers.
The legal documents include such documents as the following: a certified true copy of the last will and testament of James Gillies (1934), a copy of the last will of Florence Gillies Campbell (1949), a copy of ”Statement of Securities to be held in trust for Mrs. Muirhead, Mrs. Robertson and Mrs. Campbell under the will of the late James Gillies” (1921) , Saskatchewan Mortgage (1915-1916), inventories of the estate, certificates (such as for the registration of James’ death), and agreements.
The other records include circulars, annual reports, clippings (such as James’ obituary notice in The Arnprior Watchman, January 29, 1909), published copies about companies and general topics. Some of these are as follows: A.J. Gillies Manufacturing Co.; A.E. Ames & Co.; AEmilius & Jarvis Co.; Bank of Ottawa; Bank of Nova Scotia; Bell Telephone; Bethlehem Steel; B.C. Packers; Black Lake Consolidated Asbestos Co. Ltd.; Canada Bank of Commerce; Credit Clearing House Syndicate; Canada Cycle & Motor; Cache Creek Timber Co. in West Arm of Quatsino Sound, B.C.; City of Regina; Canada Securities Corp. Ltd.; Dominion Textile Co.; Eastman Kodak Company; Excelsior Life Insurance Co.; Ford Motor Company of Canada; Gillies Bros. Ltd.; Haddington Farms Limited; (J.S. Gillies, President); Head Office: Arnprior; Farms: Sovereign, Saskatchewan; Have You Made Your Will? booklets; Interurban Electric Co.; Laces and Braids Manufacturing Co.; Lake Shore Mines Ltd.; LaReina Co. Ltd.; Merchants’ Bank; National Finance Co. Ltd.; Noranda Mines; Power Station of Simcoe Railway & Power Co. Ltd. at the “Big Chute” Severn River, 1911; Reliance Loan & Saving Co.; Russell Motor Car Co.; Stark T.L. & P. System Ltd.; Standard Reliance; Succession Duty Act, 1907; Toronto General Trusts; and Young McEvoy, Barristers and Solicitors.
III. Business Operations. -- 1899-ca. 1980. -- 389 b&w and 17 col. photos, 0.2 cm of textual records (pamphlet and poster), 8 cards and 25 negatives.
John Gillies (1811-1888) came to Canada in 1821. In the 1840’s, he built a water-driven sawmill five miles north of the village of Lanark, at a place then called Gillies Mills (now known as Herron’s Mills). In 1862, he purchased the Gilmour limits on the Mississippi River and a sawmill at Carleton Place for his sons; he enlarged this sawmill to a capacity of 20 million feet. (This sawmill was later purchased by the McLaren and Edward’s interests and operated under the name of the Canada Lumber Co.). In 1872 or 1873, Gillies bought the Braeside sawmill (which came to be known as the Gillies Bros., Ltd.) from the Reverend Henry Usborne (an absentee English proprietor who built the mill in 1869 on the completion of the Canada Central Railway to Sand Point, 2 miles west of Braeside) and also purchased 200 square miles of timber limits on the Coulonge River in Quebec. With the completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1885, the Gillies Bros., Ltd. focused its efforts on developing Canadian markets for sawn lumber as well as export markets to the United States, the United Kingdom, and the West Indies. On July 4, 1910, a fire destroyed the west lumber yard containing 29 million board feet of lumber at Braeside; the sawmill was not damaged. But, in 1919, there was another fire and the sawmill was destroyed. However, by 1920-1921, a new electrically driven brick and concrete mill was erected. At that time, it was the first
fireproof mill of its kind in Canada. In 1945-1946, the Temagami mill (also known as the Gillies Brothers town site) was built on the narrows of Cassels, Snake and Ross Lakes in McLaren Township; by 1947, the Temagami mill started sawing logs in 1957, Temagami mill closed down and the logs were sent by water to the plant at Braeside. In 1953, the company had upwards of 1800 square miles of timber limits on the Coulonge, Black, and Schyan (or Schwyan) Rivers in Quebec and the Petawawa, Madawaska, Matabitchouan and Sturgeon Rivers in Ontario, all under lease from the Ontario and Quebec governments. In November 1963, the Gillies sold its Braeside mill to Consolidated Bathurst. Over the years, the following were the presidents: James Gillies (1842-1909), John Gillies (1909-1914), David Gillies (1914-1926), John S. Gillies (1926-1938), David A. Gillies (1938-1959) and Chairman of the Board (1959-1961), John A. Gillies Jr. (1961-1962), Arnold G. Muirhead (1962-1968), W.W. Bud Gillespie and then R.A. Nugent.
Series contains photos depicting such aspects as the following: Gauthier Rapids and Dam, spring drive, Gilchrest camp 6 or 8 miles below Crow River bridge or 5 miles below Coulonge River, Coulonge River, Brodie Gillies in 1938 and 1940, logging operations (for example, log jams, teams of horses, scenes of logs and camp in winter), Usborne Depot and its buildings (office, cookery, camp, blacksmith shop), clerk’s corner, Coulonge chute and old government slide discarded around 1925, John Carty, and J. McDonald.
Petawawa and Brent. -- [before 1940]. -- 42 b&w photos.
Series contains photos depicting such aspects as the following: water tank for icing sleigh-haul roads, Gillies Depot at Cedar Lake in Algonquin Park, dams made by loggers for flood control on Petawawa, loading heights, shanty and camp scenes, side pier, spring camp at Perley Marsh, swamp road, log piles, Brent log dump, blacksmith, D.A. and Brodie Gillies inspecting logs, men working with pike poles, truck hauls, Joe Farrell, swamp road, log piles, and picnic aboard the William Douglas boat (Gillies alligator on Chats Lake).
Series contains photos depicting such aspects as the following: Gillies Bros. and Co. Ltd. at Braeside in 1970, Cedar Mill at Black Point built in 1898 (timber came mostly from Madawaska Limits towed up from Arnprior), and old mill at Braeside.
Series contains photos depicting such aspects as the following: Pine Creek and Montreal River chute at Cassels Lake built by John Gillies Sr. around 1912, area flooded by Ontario Hydro Dam in 1980’s, Howard Chute 5 miles below Gillies Depot (Gillies limit from Booth and Lumsden), Pine Creek slide--1.5 miles long built in winter in 1905-1906 and located 12 miles below Gillies Depot on Montreal River, Jag Lake Camp No. 3, Cecil Hutson’s locomotive driver and locomotive, back end of Temagami mill, mill’s construction, mill buildings (garage, horse barn, boiler house, office, cookhouse, staff quarters, machine shop, water tower, ice house, 11 cottages with inside toilets, running water, and other modern conveniences), logging at Gillies’ Temagami limit, Rabbitt Lake dump, slide from Rabbitt Lake to Matabitchewan River, Joe Hogan (a lumber grader) calling out contents of each board, loading pine onto a railroad box car, Sloan Watters and Bud Doering, and hydraulic power air compressor.
Chats Falls and Timber Slide. -- 1902-1905; 1909; ca. 1950. -- 1 pamphlet and 14 b&w photos.
Series contains records depicting such aspects as the following: pamphlet on Chats Falls Development owned by the Ontario Hydro Electric Power Commission and the Ottawa Valley Power Company located at Chats Falls (near Fitzroy Harbour) on the Ottawa River (35 miles west of Ottawa), crib of timber (1902-1905), men repairing bottom of slide to keep cribs from upending and diving when leaving the slide, timber slide at Falls before dam built at Fitzroy Harbour built (1909), and picnic party at Chats slide.
Series contains records depicting such aspects as the following: Camboose camp in Algonquin Park similar to those of square timber camps used to house 25 to 30 men (about 1959), Parliament Buildings before fire and John R. Booth’s rafts (about 1909), cookhouse on a raft, Ottawa River at Rideau Canal before Alexandria Bridge was built, Gillies bridge at Carleton Place, John R. Booth below Parliament Buildings burned in 1916-1917 (oversized item), sawmill at Carleton Place, Duncan Stewart’s mill at Waba, Booth’s raft of pine timber with last of sailing ships about
1890 taken at Sharples and Dobell’s coves in Sillery, Quebec (photo is oversized — moved to BOX G8.1 — and entitled Old Timber Days), Canadian Lumbermen’s Association in Montreal on February 5, 1941 for the 33rd Annual Meeting (F. Bronskill, Brodie Gillies, Dean Earring are identified on this oversized photo), poster entitled Canoe Voyage of Viscount Monck (Monk?) and Lady Monck, Canada’s Governor General, 1861-1868, reprints from the collections of the Public Archives of Canada (Nos. C-609, T-916, C-6096) and the Archives of Ontario (Macnamara collection).
Series contains records depicting such aspects as the following: mill, log truck, boiler house, turbines bought for $13,000, burner, smoke stack, square timber raft, cooking crib, engine room showing generator and switchboard, log boom, and sorting table.
Series contains records depicting such aspects as the following: the hauling of logs to skid way and river across from Deep River, team of horses ready to pull logs to dump, dump below Indian Point and Jake Stewart, logs piled on frozen river waiting for ice to break up and be transported to sawmill, notes given on back of photo about moving logs (summary: two “pigs feet” on end of a chain are hooked into ends of logs; logs are then hauled up by a team and placed on a sled-type thing by a top loader or “sky piece”; men hold the ropes that are attached to “pigs feet” and keep logs from swinging).
Braeside Mill and Flood. -- 1958-1959. -- 16 b&w photos.
Series contains records depicting such aspects as the following: inside mill, logs and machinery, and areas of site effected by water.
Cards. -- [before 1950]. -- 8 cards.
Series contains records depicting such aspects as the following: Christmas cards (one made of wood sheet) and other cards of log drive at Coulonge River, timber slide on Ottawa River in 1840, winter log pile at Braeside, winter cruise party, Gillies mill, and Chaudière slide in Ottawa.
Modernization of Mill. -- 1920-1958. -- 100 b&w and 14 col. photos and 25 negatives.
Series contains records depicting such aspects as the following: truck loader, bulldozer, truck with train of sleighs at Petawawa, three-point attachment for a “V” plow, a plow that fits into a three-point attachment, kilns/dryers, storage shed, aerial views of mill site and buildings, piping, work areas, and men sorting wood planks.
Moving Pictures. -- ca. 1935. -- 11 b&w and 1 col. photos.
Series contains records depicting such aspects as the following: scenes from The Eternal Enemy and The Immortal Struggle (about man’s struggle against nature’s elements) filmed at Temagami and Rabbitt River.
Art and photo items: Map Cabinet 3 Drawer 10
1. Oil painting of Gillies Mill in 1920 painted by G. Muirhead, framed, 14” x 12.5”
2. Oil painting of the house of Elizabeth Ogilvie Brodie Gillies in Montreal painted by Mrs. Jean Howard Cliff, circa 1800, framed, 15” x 12”
3. Black and white photo, James Family Group Portrait, taken in Carleton Place, about 1890, 23” x 21”, framed
4. John Gillies portrait print by Castonguay, framed, 18” x 22.5”
5. A schedule for breakfast and tea, inscription on back reads “M.F. Campbell”, Mrs. J.S. Gillies hung this item in her home for many years, framed, 6” x 7.5”
6. Black and white photo of Gillies House in Carleton Place which burned about 1914, framed, 14.5” x 12.75”
7. Black and white photo of Ida Gillies Robertson at the “Retreat” (451 Madawaska Blvd.), 1916, (Moved to G12.1 Family Photos file)
8. Black and white photo of Eleanor Ackland Gillies, framed, 12.5” x 15.5”
9. Black and white photo of Neil Robertson (Moved to G12.1 Family Photos file)
10. Black and white photo of John Stark Gillies, framed, 8.75 x 12”
11. Black and white photo of James Gillies, framed, 12.5” x 15.25”
12. Two black and white aerial photos of Gillies Mill at Braeside, 16.25” x 17.5” (Moved to Map Cabinet #1, Drawer 14)
13. Card and envelope; sketch of grist mill by G. Muirhead on card
14. Black and white photo of George Brodie Gillies, 1963, framed 8” x 11”
3 samples of fabric (1. blue, black and red; 2. white and black; 3. blue and white); a note attached to the fabric reveals that fabric was used in a wedding petticoat and trousseau brought from Lanark, late 1890’s.
Textual records: BOX G9.1, BOX G9.2
Financial Statements of Gillies Bros. & Co. Ltd., 1958 to 1963
Gillies Bros. & Co. Ltd., Financial Booklet, November 1965
Twenty-fifth Annual Meeting of the Canadian Lumbermen’s Association, January 31 and February 1, 1993
Gillies and Milne Price List, May 15, 1962
Gillies and Milne Price List, August 1, 1962
File called “Old Mill Production”, 1953 and 1957
File of clippings, 1937, 1967, 1970 (Centennial celebration, Museum opening, Kennedy mill at Waba Creek, and more)
File on the Grove, 1991
File with clippings and other information (ex. curriculum vitaes of G. Brodie Gillies and D. Armitage Gillies, clippings about Arnprior, D.A. Gillies’ funeral)
File on Gillies Bros. Ltd. and other information (ex. unveiling of historical plaque, 97-0082 programs, program for the commemorative service of the restoration of Middleville Pioneer Cemetery restoration, copy of article from Canadian Homes and Gardens (October 1938 issue) on the home of Mr. and Mrs. D.A. Gillies, article from thr Arnprior Guide (Ocotber 13, 1978) on shanty gangs)
File on Heather MacLeod Gillies (1918-1990) and John Ackland Gillies (?-1970) (parents of John Bruce Gillies)
File on Sarah Duffy and David Caldwell, Janet Sheila Ross and Warner Keith Masters, Linda Ross and Douglas Thatcher Keep, Eden Maureen and John Keith Masters
File on Norman and Margaret Gillies family (clippings)
File on the Campbell’s family (children of Florence Gillies Campbell)
File on Mrs. N.S. Robertson (clippings)
File on Muirhead family (clippings and wedding announcements)
File on Mrs. D.A. Gillies (Jessie Herchmer)
File containing life membership certificates for D.A. Gillies,
File on the Post Office building (now housing the Museum)
File on Booth lumbering family of Ottawa
Stack of about 100 business cards of D.A. Gillies
File with clippings on Buchanan history, Chats Lake chute and Chief McNab
File with clippings on Arnprior and area (ex. Jean MacNamara Cunningham’s home at 12 Daniel Street, the archives, dam on Madawaska River, McLachlin Brothers, Pakenham, Diamond Park, Edgar Burwash, Arnprior Centennial in 1962)
File on Arnprior Historical Society (copies of photos of the Grist mill which burned down soon after Ontario Hydro bought it)
File on Grove Nursing Home property
File on Governor General’s refusal of the Gillies residence (the Grove) and Nursing Home Plan and Severance
File on the Grove, purchased by the Oblates, 1986
File on Town of Arnprior’s Landfill Site (Lot 10, Concession B, Site A.412603)
File of clippings and photos of Lot 10, Concession B
A Hundred Years A-Fellin’, 1842 to 1942 by Charlotte Whitton, and booklet about mill published by Consolidated-Bathurst Inc.; these 2 publications were purchased from Pat Bolger.
File Level List of material donated by Jayne Gillies in 2003 which pertain mainly to her husband Brodie Gillies:
1. Mrs. D. A. Gillies (correspondence and notebooks)
2. Gillies Photographs & Maps
3. G. Brodie Gillies Will etc.
4. Misc. Brodie Gillies Correspondence
5. G. Brodie Gillies - personal records
6. Brodie Gillies - Employment records 1937 - 1965
7. Brodie Family History
8. D. A. Gillies
9. Gillies Family History
10. Pocket Ready Recorder 1840
11. Correspondence 1842 - 1889
12. Upper Ottawa Improvement Co. 1908 - 1963
13. Misc. Newspaper Clippings
14. Gillies Bros. History - Misc. documents 1911 - 1961
15. Local History (Bytown, Braeside)
16. Arnold Muirheard
17. Misc. Lumbering and Travel pamphlets
18. Gillies Bros. business cards, postcards and letterhead
19. Ardchatton, J. S. Gillies' Home in Braeside, including leather-boud guestbook from 1920-37 (moved from G11.2)
20. Canadian Homes & Gardens 1938 issue with feature about D.A. Gillies home "The Grove"
21. Canada Lumberman, June 1956, article by Brodie Gillies
22. John S. Gillies, Queen's University records
Published articles and paper: Map Cabinet 1 Drawer 4
Envelope consists of misc. newspaper clippings and magazine articles documenting such aspects as the following: food in Canadian lumber camps; D.A. Gillies' home; the building of a traditional canoe and the history of Arnprior. Also includes whole issues of 1895 Scottish American Journal and 1955 Arnprior issue of the Ottawa Journal; this envelope is of uncertain provenance.
Previously referred to as the “Jayne and Brodie Gillies Papers” and the “James Gillies collection”.
Further accruals are not expected.
The Archives of Ontario in Toronto also houses records about the Gillies family (F150).
See also: Arnold Muirhead fonds, Accession #1995-0047
See also: Arnprior District Museum Collection, Gillies Family Series, Accession #1993-0005