The Board of Management and Directors of the Arnprior Mechanic’s Institute petitioned the Council of the Town of Arnprior in October 1895 to become the Arnprior Public Library under “the Act respecting Mechanic’s Institutes and Arts Schools”. Books and book cases valued at $600.00 were moved into the Town hall and turned over to the new Library Board of Management consisting of R.G. Moles (chairman), Dr. W. H. Steele, John Tierney and George E. Neilson (Secretary and Librarian). Articles regarding Dr. Steele’s efforts to establish the library appeared in the Arnprior Chronicle (page 6, November 13, 1930) and the Ottawa Citizen .
Mrs. Judy Barker, chief Librarian of the Arnprior Public Library donated these records in October 1996 and May 2000. In 2022, Chief Librarian Karen DeLuca donated the letter from Janet Carmichael.
Scope and Content
Four minute books and a photograph album from 1896 to 1992 record the business and development of the Arnprior Public Library over almost one hundred years. Motion picture films donated by members of the community and those withdrawn from circulation are also contained in this fonds. In August 2003, the Library donated 4 miscellaneous publications from their subject files which were no longer of value to the Library and a letter to Miss M. Gaudette from R. S. McLaughlin of General Motors of Canada regarding his autobiography.
The Construction, relocation of books and opening of the New Arnprior Public Library 1992-1993 is documented in 143 colour photographs.
a) Two copies of a market value appraisal of the Library & Museum building by Crawford, Humphrey and Associates Ltd. of Ottawa which was conducted in 1986.
b) Copy of 1933 revised plans of Library & Museum building which was then used as the Post Office, Customs and Inland Revenue Offices showing first floor plan, second floor plan, attic plan, roof plan and basement plan.
c) photocopy of handwritten financial statement May 31, 1966.
d) Emigration to Canada - “A narrative of a Voyage to Quebec and journey from thence to New Lanark in Upper Canada by John McDonald 1823.”
e)11th Annual Eastern Ontario Regional Games for the Physically Disabled program.
f) Sketches of Early Ottawa and District (from the Ottawa Journal 1963)- containing articles from Harry J. Walker and Lucien Brault.
g) Arnprior Public Library Annual Reports 2012, 2013
h) International Writers Festival - Arnprior Expressions poster which took place September 28 2013 at the Arnprior Public Library featuring Phil Hall, Sandra Ridley, David O'Meara, Phil Jenkins. Map Cabinet 3, Dwr 7.
i) Welcome to the Arnprior Public Library (4 page newsletter January 2015) outlines the history of the Public Library from 1895 to 2015.
j) A letter written by Janet Carmichael to a Mr. Ogg with a very general story about Arnprior's early history.
Motion Picture Films: The following films cannot be viewed until transferred to VHS format for preservation reasons:
1) Two Related Industries  Produced by Caravel Films, presented by Huyck and sons. 2 x 16mm B&W composite release print.
This film examines the relationship between developments in felt manufacturing and improvements in the paper making industry. A dramatization of hand paper-making in the pre-industrial era is shown while the narrorator traces the develpment of felts in papermaking. Hi-speed “modern” newsprint and paper manufacturing machines are shown while the function of felts is explained. Numerous shots of Kenwood mills laboratory employees testing felts for durability, openness and finish are shown throughout the film.
2) The Town and the Mill  5 x 16 mm Colour composite release prints; 1/2 inch video tape copy.
The Town and the Mill was produced by Crawley Films Ltd. of Ottawa for Kenwood Mills Ltd. It portrays the Town of Arnprior as "a fine place to live" with "plenty of opportunity right here at home". The film includes shots of Harrington Street, fishing at the Arnprior wharf, the lighthouse, Canadian Pacific and Canadian National Railways, highschool graduation ceremony, post office exteriors, hospital exterior, lumber yards, construction work on the Stewartville dam, the Kenwood Mill sign and water tower, Kenwood products and display, shift change at the mill, the Arnprior Golf Course, hunting, fishing, tobogganing, skating, Gardiner's store front and the Arnprior Curling Club. For copies contact Library & Archives Canada, Crawley Collection.
A detailed description of the motion picture films is available in collection file.
Accruals are expected.
See also: Scapbook Story of Arnprior and Arnprior Bylaw 57 as well as Town of Arnprior Minutes 3 June 1895 and 7 October 1895