In 1868, William Baker (1836-1909) established the Dochart Brick, Tile and Terra-Cotta Works in Mansfield, near Arnprior. He had previously operated a brick making enterprise at the location of the present Arnprior Town Hall from 1863 until he moved to the site in Mansfield where he could use the Dochart Creek for his brick works. In 1901, William Baker's son George Edward Baker (1877-1951) took over the business. In November 1944, the large drying building was destroyed by fire. George E. Baker sold the business in 1947 to John S. McKay who re-named it “Dochart Brick and Tile Co. Ltd.”in 1951. The plant was rebuilt to specialize in the installation and manufacturing of clay drainage tile. In 1980 the name changed to Dochart Clay Products.
1868 - ca1985
The brickworks were located behind the house, which still stands.